Intemittendly get "server process (PID 5884) exited with exit code 3"

From
"Wetzel, Juergen (Juergen)"

I’m working with postgres version 9.3.10 on Windows. From time to time a postgres process terminates with following messages:

LOG:  server process (PID 5884) exited with exit code 3

LOG:  terminating any other active server processes

WARNING:  terminating connection because of crash of another server process

DETAIL:  The postmaster has commanded this server process to roll back the current transaction and exit, because another server process exited abnormally and possibly corrupted shared memory.

HINT:  In a moment you should be able to reconnect to the database and repeat your command.

This ends up in an endless loop of these messages. Only possibility to recover is to restart postgres service.

Has anybody an idea what can cause this? Or is there a possibility to get more (useful) log messages? Every time when I change log_min_messages to a value providing more information than “warning” the bug does not occur anymore.

Regards

"Wetzel, Juergen (Juergen)" <wetzel@avaya.com> writes:
> I'm working with postgres version 9.3.10 on Windows. From time to time a postgres process terminates with following
messages:

> LOG:  server process (PID 5884) exited with exit code 3

As far as I can recall at the moment, no Postgres child process would ever
choose to exit with exit code 3; we use 0, 1, and 2, but not 3.  I am
thinking that maybe you've got some custom code in plperl or plpython or
some such that does an exit(3).

> This ends up in an endless loop of these messages. Only possibility to recover is to restart postgres service.

Or maybe the exit(3) is in an extension that is preloaded into all
processes via shared_preload_libraries or similar?

            regards, tom lane

Re: Intemittendly get "server process (PID 5884) exited with exit code 3"

From
"Wetzel, Juergen (Juergen)"
Date:
Hi Tom,

many thanks for your answer. This is a good hint. Will check this.

Regards
Jürgen