PAM LDAP CREATE USER

From
Aaron_Wright@selinc.com
Date:
I recently upgraded from 8.4 to 9.3, and my custom LDAP PAM module no longer works.

In brief, my LDAP PAM module authenticates a centralized user and then creates a matching database user, using a separate super user connection to the database, before returning successfully from the PAM module. This used to work beautifully, but now I get a FATAL error, "role %s does not exist".

Did I depend on a "feature" that got fixed at some point? Is this an issue with the connection already being started, so no new users are considered? Is there a way to make this work?

Re: PAM LDAP CREATE USER

Date:
Aaron_Wright@selinc.com writes:
> I recently upgraded from 8.4 to 9.3, and my custom LDAP PAM module no
> longer works.

8.4.what and 9.3.what?  Have you checked the behavior in any other releases?

> In brief, my LDAP PAM module authenticates a centralized user and then
> creates a matching database user, using a separate super user connection
> to the database, before returning successfully from the PAM module. This
> used to work beautifully, but now I get a FATAL error, "role %s does not
> exist".

That seems mighty Rube Goldbergian ... but it's not clear why it used to
work and doesn't anymore.  If you'd said 9.4 I'd have guessed at a corner
case in catalog snapshot invalidation, but I think 9.3 would just be
looking for the role with SnapshotNow, which should pretty much always
work.  (You're sure the transaction in the background is getting committed
in time, right?  And it's being sent to the 9.3 DB not the 8.4 one?)

Also, just to clarify: this is a PAM auth module that just happens to talk
to some LDAP server behind the scenes, right?  If Postgres thinks this is
LDAP auth method then some other possibilities open up --- but AFAICS
we've not touched the PAM code since 8.4.2.

            regards, tom lane

Re: PAM LDAP CREATE USER

From
Aaron_Wright@selinc.com
> From: Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>
> Aaron_Wright@selinc.com writes:
> > I recently upgraded from 8.4 to 9.3, and my custom LDAP PAM module no
> > longer works.
>
> 8.4.what and 9.3.what?

8.4.16 to 9.3.4

> Have you checked the behavior in any other releases?

Not yet. I was interested in getting a laugh test from the mailing list first; to see if I was completely off my rocker or not.

> > In brief, my LDAP PAM module authenticates a centralized user and then
> > creates a matching database user, using a separate super user connection
> > to the database, before returning successfully from the PAM module. This
> > used to work beautifully, but now I get a FATAL error, "role %s does not
> > exist".
>
> That seems mighty Rube Goldbergian

From what I've researched this is the only way to accomplish what I'm trying to. Everything I read online keeps telling me that in order for LDAP to work with postgresql, the user must already exist in the database. Most of the workarounds for this, involve a cron job that sucks up the entire directory of users and creates matching users in the database periodically.

That seems a little crazy to me, so I have a PAM LDAP module which creates the users on the fly.

> ... but it's not clear why it used to
> work and doesn't anymore.  If you'd said 9.4 I'd have guessed at a corner
> case in catalog snapshot invalidation, but I think 9.3 would just be
> looking for the role with SnapshotNow, which should pretty much always
> work.  (You're sure the transaction in the background is getting committed
> in time, right?  And it's being sent to the 9.3 DB not the 8.4 one?)

The PAM LDAP module uses PQconnectdb to create a super user connection to the database. It uses PQexec to run "CREATE USER 'user' PASSWORD NULL IN ROLE 'role';". And finishes up with a PQfinish before PAM_SUCCESS is returned to postgres. I'm a bit limited in my database knowledge, so please let me know if that sequence is leaving something dangling. I see the "CREATE USER" query in the pg_log file.

Also, if I try to log in a second time, it works fine. This is presumably because the user now exists.

> Also, just to clarify: this is a PAM auth module that just happens to talk
> to some LDAP server behind the scenes, right?  If Postgres thinks this is
> LDAP auth method then some other possibilities open up --- but AFAICS
> we've not touched the PAM code since 8.4.2.

You're correct, this is a PAM auth module that handles talking to the LDAP server and authenticating the user.

pg_hba.conf line includes "host all all 0.0.0.0/0 pam pamservice=..." and there's a matching pam configuration file.

I'm not familiar with the "LDAP auth method", but I don't think I can use that as the documents say, "user must already exist" in that situation, which is the same problem I'm trying to fix.