bdr download

From
Ray Stell
Date:
Two comments on the BDR docs:

The second option provided here, http://bdr-project.org/docs/stable/installation-source.html#INSTALLATION-SOURCE-PREREQS
"3.3.2.2 Downloading release source tarballs," seems to be an endless loop between http://bdr-project.org/ and http://2ndquadrant.com/en/resources/bdr/

Might want to edit here: http://bdr-project.org/docs/stable/appendix-signatures.html
" The BDR / 9.4 RPM releases key key is in turn signed..."

Thanks,
Ray

Re: bdr download

Date:
On Mon, Aug 31, 2015 at 10:24:26AM -0400, Ray Stell wrote:
> Two comments on the BDR docs:
>
> The second option provided here, http://bdr-project.org/docs/stable/
> installation-source.html#INSTALLATION-SOURCE-PREREQS
> "3.3.2.2 Downloading release source tarballs," seems to be an endless loop
> between http://bdr-project.org/ and http://2ndquadrant.com/en/resources/bdr/
>
> Might want to edit here: http://bdr-project.org/docs/stable/
> appendix-signatures.html
> " The BDR / 9.4 RPM releases key key is in turn signed..."

BDR is not currently part of community Postgres so you will need to
report it to them directly.

  + Everyone has their own god. +

Re: bdr download

From
Alvaro Herrera
Date:
Bruce Momjian wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 31, 2015 at 10:24:26AM -0400, Ray Stell wrote:
> > Two comments on the BDR docs:
> >
> > The second option provided here, http://bdr-project.org/docs/stable/
> > installation-source.html#INSTALLATION-SOURCE-PREREQS
> > "3.3.2.2 Downloading release source tarballs," seems to be an endless loop
> > between http://bdr-project.org/ and http://2ndquadrant.com/en/resources/bdr/

Hmm, I think there must be some confusion regarding the
language-specific redirects.  If I open
http://2ndquadrant.com/en/resources/bdr/ directly, it works fine; if I
open the bdr-project.org URL, it redirects me to
http://2ndquadrant.com/es/en/resources/bdr/ which throws a 404.  I guess
you probably have a different language setting, or something.  Anyway, I
will report this to the people managing the website.

> > Might want to edit here: http://bdr-project.org/docs/stable/
> > appendix-signatures.html
> > " The BDR / 9.4 RPM releases key key is in turn signed..."

I fixed this typo in the sgml source -- it should eventually become part
of the website.

> BDR is not currently part of community Postgres so you will need to
> report it to them directly.

As discussed a year ago or so, this list is what to use for BDR reports
and discussions, so this report is in the right place.

Thanks

Re: bdr download

Date:
On Mon, Aug 31, 2015 at 12:30:52PM -0300, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> > BDR is not currently part of community Postgres so you will need to
> > report it to them directly.
>
> As discussed a year ago or so, this list is what to use for BDR reports
> and discussions, so this report is in the right place.

Huh, why did we decide that when the community doesn't control any of
it?  That doesn't make any sense.

  + Everyone has their own god. +

Re: bdr download

From
Andres Freund
Date:
On 2015-08-31 12:37:11 -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 31, 2015 at 12:30:52PM -0300, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> > > BDR is not currently part of community Postgres so you will need to
> > > report it to them directly.
> >
> > As discussed a year ago or so, this list is what to use for BDR reports
> > and discussions, so this report is in the right place.
>
> Huh, why did we decide that when the community doesn't control any of
> it?  That doesn't make any sense.

http://archives.postgresql.org/message-id/%2053A2AA64.9040709%402ndquadrant.com

Greetings,

Andres Freund

Re: bdr download

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
On 08/31/2015 09:37 AM, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 31, 2015 at 12:30:52PM -0300, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
>>> BDR is not currently part of community Postgres so you will need to
>>> report it to them directly.
>>
>> As discussed a year ago or so, this list is what to use for BDR reports
>> and discussions, so this report is in the right place.
>
> Huh, why did we decide that when the community doesn't control any of
> it?  That doesn't make any sense.

It was decided during initial development because the end result is that
BDR will be included in core.

At least as far as I recall.

JD

Re: bdr download

From
Andres Freund
Date:
On 2015-08-31 18:41:19 +0200, Andres Freund wrote:
> http://archives.postgresql.org/message-id/%2053A2AA64.9040709%402ndquadrant.com

http://archives.postgresql.org/message-id/53A2AA64.9040709%402ndquadrant.com

There was a space too much in the link...

Greetings,

Andres Freund

Re: bdr download

Date:
On Mon, Aug 31, 2015 at 09:58:36AM -0700, Joshua Drake wrote:

> >>As discussed a year ago or so, this list is what to use for BDR reports
> >>and discussions, so this report is in the right place.
> >
> >Huh, why did we decide that when the community doesn't control any of
> >it?  That doesn't make any sense.
> >

> It was decided during initial development because the end result is
> that BDR will be included in core.
>
> At least as far as I recall.

Yeah, I just read the thread.  I guess with the low volume makes sense
to use "general", but I figured if someone went to the work of
developing a website for BDR, they would just as soon create a mailing
list hosted there, but I guess not.

It clearly is being developed by 2nd Quadrant:

    http://bdr-project.org/docs/next/index.html

    BDR is developed by the BDR team at 2ndQuadrant. Multiple customers
    contribute funding and other resources to make BDR development possible.
    2ndQuadrant continues to fund the ongoing development of BDR to meet
    internal needs and those of customers.

It doesn't look like a community project to me --- it looks like an open
source project funded by 2nd Quadrant and its customers, which is fine,
but I don't know why the community is fielding questions about it on its
mailing list.

  + Everyone has their own god. +

Re: bdr download

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
On 08/31/2015 12:14 PM, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 31, 2015 at 09:58:36AM -0700, Joshua Drake wrote:
>> On 08/31/2015 09:37 AM, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>>> On Mon, Aug 31, 2015 at 12:30:52PM -0300, Alvaro Herrera wrote:

> It clearly is being developed by 2nd Quadrant:
>
>     http://bdr-project.org/docs/next/index.html
>
>     BDR is developed by the BDR team at 2ndQuadrant. Multiple customers
>     contribute funding and other resources to make BDR development possible.
>     2ndQuadrant continues to fund the ongoing development of BDR to meet
>     internal needs and those of customers.
>
> It doesn't look like a community project to me --- it looks like an open
> source project funded by 2nd Quadrant and its customers, which is fine,
> but I don't know why the community is fielding questions about it on its
> mailing list.

That's a good point but honestly I take the approach of: If the goal is
to include it in core, having the discussion be here makes sense.

If that isn't the goal, then it should be kicked.

JD

Re: bdr download

From
Alvaro Herrera
Date:
Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Yeah, I just read the thread.  I guess with the low volume makes sense
> to use "general", but I figured if someone went to the work of
> developing a website for BDR, they would just as soon create a mailing
> list hosted there, but I guess not.

Actually, that website was created relatively recently, and it only
exists with the intention of hosting the HTML documentation build.  (The
documentation was originally in wiki.postgresql.org, but as I recall
that proved hard to maintain.)

> It clearly is being developed by 2ndQuadrant:
>
>     http://bdr-project.org/docs/next/index.html
>
>     BDR is developed by the BDR team at 2ndQuadrant. Multiple customers
>     contribute funding and other resources to make BDR development possible.
>     2ndQuadrant continues to fund the ongoing development of BDR to meet
>     internal needs and those of customers.
>
> It doesn't look like a community project to me --- it looks like an open
> source project funded by 2nd Quadrant and its customers, which is fine,
> but I don't know why the community is fielding questions about it on its
> mailing list.

The whole thing is intended to be integrated to upstream Postgres.  I
can't believe you haven't seen the following pieces being committed:

- logical decoding
- replication slots
- replication origin identifier
- commit timestamp
- DDL deparsing

2ndQuadrant's intention is that eventually what we now call BDR will be
integrated functionality, part of the core git repository.  As I
understand, the only pieces that touch the backend code remaining to
implement the complete BDR functionality is the sequence AM patch,
submitted to prior commitfests, considered almost ready, and not yet
updated but hopefully will be submitted for 9.6 soon.

Questions by users and discussion in the community lists help shape the
design so that it is most useful to them, just like they shape Postgres
itself.  If other people want to join the team developing BDR, they are
most welcome.

Re: bdr download

Date:
On Mon, Aug 31, 2015 at 04:30:33PM -0300, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> The whole thing is intended to be integrated to upstream Postgres.  I
> can't believe you haven't seen the following pieces being committed:
>
> - logical decoding
> - replication slots
> - replication origin identifier
> - commit timestamp
> - DDL deparsing
>
> 2ndQuadrant's intention is that eventually what we now call BDR will be
> integrated functionality, part of the core git repository.  As I
> understand, the only pieces that touch the backend code remaining to
> implement the complete BDR functionality is the sequence AM patch,
> submitted to prior commitfests, considered almost ready, and not yet
> updated but hopefully will be submitted for 9.6 soon.
>
> Questions by users and discussion in the community lists help shape the
> design so that it is most useful to them, just like they shape Postgres
> itself.  If other people want to join the team developing BDR, they are
> most welcome.

If you think things are moving a positive direction for inclusion,
that's fine with me.   I had not seen much activity recently.

  + Everyone has their own god. +

Re: bdr download

Date:
> On Mon, Aug 31, 2015 at 09:58:36AM -0700, Joshua Drake wrote:
>> On 08/31/2015 09:37 AM, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>>> Huh, why did we decide that when the community doesn't control any of
>>> it?  That doesn't make any sense.

>> It was decided during initial development because the end result is
>> that BDR will be included in core.
>>
>> At least as far as I recall.

> Yeah, I just read the thread.  I guess with the low volume makes sense
> to use "general", but I figured if someone went to the work of
> developing a website for BDR, they would just as soon create a mailing
> list hosted there, but I guess not.

The opinion back then was that it would be "low volume", but the number of
bdr-related questions we see on general has really skyrocketed lately.
I think it's time that topic got its own list.

            regards, tom lane