Public facing PostgreSQL hosting ?

From
essam Ganadily
Date:
hi
i do develop on PostgreSQL from home and from work. i need public facing PostgreSQL , something i can use Pgadmin from anywhere.
performance and scalability is not important because i will be running like few operations per day.

any idea where can i find that ?
thankx

Re: Public facing PostgreSQL hosting ?

From
"Charles Clavadetscher"
Date:
Hello

You can use pgAdmin (or psql for that matter) to connect to a database over the network, provided PostgreSQL is
configuredto accept this kind of connections and all the firewalls to it allow the traffic.

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.4/interactive/runtime-config-connection.html
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.4/interactive/client-authentication.html

A tool I heard about, but never used is phpPgAdmin. You may want to take a look:
http://phppgadmin.sourceforge.net/doku.php

Bye
Charles

From: pgsql-general-owner@postgresql.org [mailto:pgsql-general-owner@postgresql.org] On Behalf Of essam Ganadily
Sent: Montag, 31. August 2015 09:04
To: pgsql-general@postgresql.org
Subject: [GENERAL] Public facing PostgreSQL hosting ?

hi
i do develop on PostgreSQL from home and from work. i need public facing PostgreSQL , something i can use Pgadmin from
anywhere.
performance and scalability is not important because i will be running like few operations per day.

any idea where can i find that ?
thankx

Re: Public facing PostgreSQL hosting ?

From
Steve Crawford
Date:
i do develop on PostgreSQL from home and from work. i need public facing PostgreSQL , something i can use Pgadmin from anywhere.
performance and scalability is not important because i will be running like few operations per day.

any idea where can i find that ?
thankx

I'm unclear what you are looking for. Are you trying to access one of your servers remotely? If so, a VPN or SSH port-forwarding are a much safer option.

Or are you looking for a third-party service that provides PostgreSQL as a service?

Cheers,
Steve

Re: Public facing PostgreSQL hosting ?

From
Gavin Flower
Date:
On 31/08/15 19:03, essam Ganadily wrote:
> hi
> i do develop on PostgreSQL from home and from work. i need public
> facing PostgreSQL , something i can use Pgadmin from anywhere.
> performance and scalability is not important because i will be running
> like few operations per day.
>
> any idea where can i find that ?
> thankx
I don't think it is a good idea to let people to have direct access (in
the sense of allowing people to submit SQL, or even just values) to a
database, apart from carefully controlled groups.  Usually it is best to
have some sort of middleware in between the public & a database.

Cheers,
Gavin

Re: Public facing PostgreSQL hosting ?

From
Maciek Sakrejda
Date:
If I understand correctly, you're looking for Postgres hosted as a service? Heroku provides hosting as a service [1], and we do allow you to connect from anywhere. It's true that generally folks in the Postgres community prefer to run databases with perimeter security and only leave your database directly accessible to your application, but we've never had any problems and we are confident in our security configuration. If you find our plans are not a good fit, you can find a list of other vendors on postgresql.org [2] (though I'm not sure which provide databases directly accessible from the public Internet).

Thanks,
Maciek
Heroku Postgres

[1]: https://addons.heroku.com/heroku-postgresql