template_postgis issue

From
Sachin Srivastava
Date:
Dear Concern,

When I am installing PostgreSQL version 9.1 with PostGIS 1.5 then it's
creating "template_postgis" database by default.

But when I am installing below PostgreSQL version 9.3 with PostGIS 2.1.7

postgresql-9.3.6-2-windows-x64
postgis-bundle-pg93x64-setup-2.1.7-1

And PostgreSQL version 9.4 with PostGIS 2.1.7

postgresql-9.4.1-3-windows-x64
postgis-bundle-pg94x64-setup-2.1.7-1

It's not creating template_postgis by default. Kindly confirm what's
the problem is.

Note: I am installing these on Windows 7 machine (64 bit)

Regards,
Sachin

Re: template_postgis issue

From
Giuseppe Broccolo
Date:
Hi Sachin,

Dear Concern,

When I am installing PostgreSQL version 9.1 with PostGIS 1.5 then it's
creating "template_postgis" database by default.

But when I am installing below PostgreSQL version 9.3 with PostGIS 2.1.7

postgresql-9.3.6-2-windows-x64
postgis-bundle-pg93x64-setup-2.1.7-1

And PostgreSQL version 9.4 with PostGIS 2.1.7

postgresql-9.4.1-3-windows-x64
postgis-bundle-pg94x64-setup-2.1.7-1

It's not creating template_postgis by default. Kindly confirm what's
the problem is.

Note: I am installing these on Windows 7 machine (64 bit)

If you are running PostgreSQL 9.1+ you don't need to bother with the template database, but with the EXTENSION mechanism as introduced from this release. Please consider the following link:

http://www.bostongis.com/PrinterFriendly.aspx?content_name=postgis_tut01

In particular, consider this part:

                    If you are running PostgreSQL 9.1+, we recommend you don't even bother with the template database and just use

               CREATE EXTENSION postgis

                    in the database of your choosing or use PgAdmin Extensions install feature which we will cover in this tutorial.

Giuseppe Broccolo - 2ndQuadrant Italy
giuseppe.broccolo@2ndQuadrant.it | www.2ndQuadrant.it