Postgresql Development Options

From
Ray Madigan
Date:
I have been using postgresql in java off and on for many years.   I now have an assignemtn where I have to build a very straight forward networked application that needs to be able to insert Array data types from a windows environment to a remote Linux Postgresql database.

My first attempt was to use Qt.  Their is a postgresql driver and found out the hard way that it doesn't support the Array data type.  I need a small ui so the user can set options for the application.   My question is, are there other UI options that I can use to development this application.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Postgresql Development Options

From
Adrian Klaver
Date:
On 04/05/2015 01:21 PM, Ray Madigan wrote:
> I have been using postgresql in java off and on for many years.   I now
> have an assignemtn where I have to build a very straight forward
> networked application that needs to be able to insert Array data types
> from a windows environment to a remote Linux Postgresql database.
>
> My first attempt was to use Qt.  Their is a postgresql driver and found
> out the hard way that it doesn't support the Array data type.  I need a
> small ui so the user can set options for the application.   My question
> is, are there other UI options that I can use to development this
> application.

What languages are you comfortable with?

Seems from the above the UI is separate from the application, is that
the case?

Is so what is the application written in?

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: Postgresql Development Options

From
Ray Madigan
Date:
The application will be very small, its main function is as a data acquision tool that reads data from an c api and does minimal processing and feeds it off to a postgresql database for offline processing.  I haven't written the PC side application yet, just a prototype in Qt.  It just hast to be as fast as possible, or I would java.  I am comfortable with c++, but would use other language if it would get the job done.

The ui is used basically to control the device that is generating the data, and parsing it into sql to send to the database.  Very simple.

Thank you.

ps, if I shouldn't include your email in my response tell me, I am not sure what the conventions are.

[...]

Gavin Flower
Date:
On 06/04/15 08:46, Ray Madigan wrote:
> The application will be very small, its main function is as a data
> acquision tool that reads data from an c api and does minimal
> processing and feeds it off to a postgresql database for offline
> processing.  I haven't written the PC side application yet, just a
> prototype in Qt.  It just hast to be as fast as possible, or I would
> java.  I am comfortable with c++, but would use other language if it
> would get the job done.
>
> The ui is used basically to control the device that is generating the
> data, and parsing it into sql to send to the database.  Very simple.
>
> Thank you.
>
> ps, if I shouldn't include your email in my response tell me, I am not
> sure what the conventions are.
>
> On Sun, Apr 5, 2015 at 1:35 PM, Adrian Klaver
> <adrian.klaver@aklaver.com <mailto:adrian.klaver@aklaver.com>> wrote:
>
>     On 04/05/2015 01:21 PM, Ray Madigan wrote:
>
>         I have been using postgresql in java off and on for many
>         years.   I now
>         have an assignemtn where I have to build a very straight forward
>         networked application that needs to be able to insert Array
>         data types
>         from a windows environment to a remote Linux Postgresql database.
>
>         My first attempt was to use Qt.  Their is a postgresql driver
>         and found
>         out the hard way that it doesn't support the Array data type.
>         I need a
>         small ui so the user can set options for the application.   My
>         question
>         is, are there other UI options that I can use to development this
>         application.
>

>     What languages are you comfortable with?
>
>     Seems from the above the UI is separate from the application, is
>     that the case?
>
>     Is so what is the application written in?
>

>         Thanks in advance.
>

>     --
>     Adrian Klaver

The convention is to bottom post (like I am here), and include as much
of the previous emails as is relevant.

You don't have to be too strict in cutting things out of previous
emails, it is more to prevent emails getting far too long - in the above
case no real need to omit things.

In general mention what version of PostgreSQL you are using, though not
really relevant here!

Cheers,
Gavin

Date:
On 04/05/2015 01:46 PM, Ray Madigan wrote:
> The application will be very small, its main function is as a data
> acquision tool that reads data from an c api and does minimal processing
> and feeds it off to a postgresql database for offline processing.  I
> haven't written the PC side application yet, just a prototype in Qt.  It
> just hast to be as fast as possible, or I would java.  I am comfortable
> with c++, but would use other language if it would get the job done.

Similar to QT is WxWidgets:

https://www.wxwidgets.org/

though I would not call it simple. Also it does not have  built in
database connectors, so you would have to hook that in separately. To
get around this I have in the past used Dabo:

http://dabodev.com/

which is Python 'binding' to WxWidgets, in the sense that it uses
WxWidgets but under its own framework. It does have a database layer
that in the case of Postgres, uses the psycopg2 driver.

My guess though is that you might find using libpq
(www.postgresql.org/docs/9.4/interactive/libpq.html) directly
as the database connector with your existing Qt application a better
alternative.

> The ui is used basically to control the device that is generating the
> data, and parsing it into sql to send to the database.  Very simple.
>
> Thank you.
>
> ps, if I shouldn't include your email in my response tell me, I am not
> sure what the conventions are.

sure posts get through in the event of list issues.

> On Sun, Apr 5, 2015 at 1:35 PM, Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@aklaver.com
>
>     On 04/05/2015 01:21 PM, Ray Madigan wrote:
>
>         I have been using postgresql in java off and on for many years.
>           I now
>         have an assignemtn where I have to build a very straight forward
>         networked application that needs to be able to insert Array data
>         types
>         from a windows environment to a remote Linux Postgresql database.
>
>         My first attempt was to use Qt.  Their is a postgresql driver
>         and found
>         out the hard way that it doesn't support the Array data type.  I
>         need a
>         small ui so the user can set options for the application.   My
>         question
>         is, are there other UI options that I can use to development this
>         application.
>

>     What languages are you comfortable with?
>
>     Seems from the above the UI is separate from the application, is
>     that the case?
>
>     Is so what is the application written in?
>

>         Thanks in advance.
>

>     --
>     Adrian Klaver

Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: Postgresql Development Options

From
Stefan Keller
Date:

> I have in the past used Dabo:
>
> http://dabodev.com/

I would have recommended Dabo too.

Or Camelot http://www.python-camelot.com/ .

Or you can still use Qt with SQLAlchemy which seems to support some
PostgreSQL data types::
http://docs.sqlalchemy.org/en/latest/dialects/postgresql.html

Cheers, Stefan

> [...]
>>           I now
>>         have an assignemtn where I have to build a very straight forward
>>         networked application that needs to be able to insert Array data
>>         types
>>         from a windows environment to a remote Linux Postgresql database.
>>
>>         My first attempt was to use Qt.  Their is a postgresql driver
>>         and found
>>         out the hard way that it doesn't support the Array data type.  I
>>         need a
>>         small ui so the user can set options for the application.   My
>>         question
>>         is, are there other UI options that I can use to development this
>>         application.
>>

>>     What languages are you comfortable with?
>>
>>     Seems from the above the UI is separate from the application, is
>>     that the case?
>>
>>     Is so what is the application written in?

Steve Atkins
Date:
On Apr 5, 2015, at 1:21 PM, Ray Madigan <raymond.madigan@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have been using postgresql in java off and on for many years.   I now have an assignemtn where I have to build a
verystraight forward networked application that needs to be able to insert Array data types from a windows environment
toa remote Linux Postgresql database.

> My first attempt was to use Qt.  Their is a postgresql driver and found out the hard way that it doesn't support the
Arraydata type.  I need a small ui so the user can set options for the application.   My question is, are there other
UIoptions that I can use to development this application.

The Qt database driver is not great for general use. Where it shines is when you want to do simple CRUD queries and to
havethem connected to widgets with minimal work. It should support arrays, though, with a little data transformation.

If you're looking to use C++ then Qt is an excellent framework for a GUI app - one that you won't beat for
cross-platformwork - but you might consider whether using libpqxx or libpq to connect to the database might suit your
needsbetter.

Cheers,
  Steve

On Sun, Apr 5, 2015 at 6:46 PM, Steve Atkins <steve@blighty.com> wrote:

On Apr 5, 2015, at 1:21 PM, Ray Madigan <raymond.madigan@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have been using postgresql in java off and on for many years.   I now have an assignemtn where I have to build a very straight forward networked application that needs to be able to insert Array data types from a windows environment to a remote Linux Postgresql database.
>
> My first attempt was to use Qt.  Their is a postgresql driver and found out the hard way that it doesn't support the Array data type.  I need a small ui so the user can set options for the application.   My question is, are there other UI options that I can use to development this application.

The Qt database driver is not great for general use. Where it shines is when you want to do simple CRUD queries and to have them connected to widgets with minimal work. It should support arrays, though, with a little data transformation.

If you're looking to use C++ then Qt is an excellent framework for a GUI app - one that you won't beat for cross-platform work - but you might consider whether using libpqxx or libpq to connect to the database might suit your needs better.

Cheers,
  Steve

I tried to use libpq this morning and all it can do is crash.  I have Postgresql running on my local machine and have installed the ODBC drivers, not that that matters at this point.  I can't seem to get past the call to connect to the database.:

my code looks like:

    PGconn * connection;
    char       conninfo[250];

    sprintf(conninfo, "user=%s password=%s dbname=%s hostaddr=%s port=%d", "user", "password", "foo", "192.168.3.3", 5433);
    qDebug() << "Foo1: " << conninfo;

    connection = PQconnectdb( conninfo );
    qDebug() << "Foo1: ";

And I get