Load Data with COPY

From
dpopova@uvic.ca
Date:
I have 7,000+ rows of data in Numbers. Exported to .csv file, tried to
load into postgres table with COPY FROM, failed. Postgres does not
recognize the format:

ERROR:  invalid input syntax for integer: "project_name,...

Is there any way to export/convert the data in Numbers into a format
recognizable by postgres?
Mac OS 10.10.6; postgres 9.3.5.2

Please, advise. Thank you,

Diana

Re: Load Data with COPY

From
Raymond O'Donnell
Date:
On 24/03/2015 21:00, dpopova@uvic.ca wrote:
> I have 7,000+ rows of data in Numbers. Exported to .csv file, tried to
> load into postgres table with COPY FROM, failed. Postgres does not
> recognize the format:
>
> ERROR:  invalid input syntax for integer: "project_name,...
>
> Is there any way to export/convert the data in Numbers into a format
> recognizable by postgres?
> Mac OS 10.10.6; postgres 9.3.5.2

Well, the error says that you're trying to load a string,
"project_name", into an integer column.

Is there a header row in the CSV file? - if so, delete it and try again.

Ray.

--
Raymond O'Donnell :: Galway :: Ireland
rod@iol.ie

Re: Load Data with COPY

From
John R Pierce
Date:
On 3/24/2015 2:16 PM, Raymond O'Donnell wrote:
> Is there a header row in the CSV file? - if so, delete it and try again.

or specify 'WITH HEADER' on the COPY command

--
john, recycling bits in santa cruz

Re: Load Data with COPY

From
Adrian Klaver
Date:
On 03/24/2015 02:16 PM, Raymond O'Donnell wrote:
> On 24/03/2015 21:00, dpopova@uvic.ca wrote:
>> I have 7,000+ rows of data in Numbers. Exported to .csv file, tried to
>> load into postgres table with COPY FROM, failed. Postgres does not
>> recognize the format:
>>
>> ERROR:  invalid input syntax for integer: "project_name,...
>>
>> Is there any way to export/convert the data in Numbers into a format
>> recognizable by postgres?
>> Mac OS 10.10.6; postgres 9.3.5.2
>
> Well, the error says that you're trying to load a string,
> "project_name", into an integer column.
>
> Is there a header row in the CSV file? - if so, delete it and try again.

If it is not a header row issue then it could be the columns in the CSV
file do not match the columns in the table and that data is not matching
what the table column expects. You can specify a column list in the COPY.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: Load Data with COPY

From
dpopova@uvic.ca
Date:
Yes, it is a header in the .csv file. I did not know that there is such an
option as specifying WITH HEADER in COPY.
I should have tried to delete the header and specify the loading columns
in the COPY itself.

Thank you, Adrian, Ray, and John.

Diana

> On 03/24/2015 02:16 PM, Raymond O'Donnell wrote:
>> On 24/03/2015 21:00, dpopova@uvic.ca wrote:
>>> I have 7,000+ rows of data in Numbers. Exported to .csv file, tried to
load into postgres table with COPY FROM, failed. Postgres does not
recognize the format:
>>> ERROR:  invalid input syntax for integer: "project_name,...
>>> Is there any way to export/convert the data in Numbers into a format
recognizable by postgres?
>>> Mac OS 10.10.6; postgres 9.3.5.2
>> Well, the error says that you're trying to load a string,
>> "project_name", into an integer column.
>> Is there a header row in the CSV file? - if so, delete it and try
again.
> If it is not a header row issue then it could be the columns in the CSV
file do not match the columns in the table and that data is not matching
what the table column expects. You can specify a column list in the
COPY.
>> Ray.
> --
> Adrian Klaver
> adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: Load Data with COPY

From
dpopova@uvic.ca
Date:
Successfully loaded two files into two different tables. Happy. :-)

Diana

> Yes, it is a header in the .csv file. I did not know that there is such an
> option as specifying WITH HEADER in COPY.
> I should have tried to delete the header and specify the loading columns
> in the COPY itself.
>
> Thank you, Adrian, Ray, and John.
>
> Diana

> load into postgres table with COPY FROM, failed. Postgres does not
> recognize the format:
> recognizable by postgres?
>>> Well, the error says that you're trying to load a string,
>>> "project_name", into an integer column.
>>> Is there a header row in the CSV file? - if so, delete it and try
> again.
>> If it is not a header row issue then it could be the columns in the CSV
> file do not match the columns in the table and that data is not matching
> what the table column expects. You can specify a column list in the
> COPY.
>>> Ray.
>> --
>> Adrian Klaver
>> adrian.klaver@aklaver.com
>> --

Re: Load Data with COPY

From
Nicolas Paris
Date:
Every day I discover Postgresql's new features. Today : make women happy :)