DB Connections

From
Job
Date:
Hello,

i have just installed (on a Centos 6.5 x64 machine) Postgresql 9 latest stable version.

The application i use need lots of static DB connections: in the 9 version, how many connections can be declared in
postgresql.conf?
I searched for a max number but i noticed it is not specified.

Thank you,
Francesco

DB Connections

From
Job
Date:
Hello,

i have just installed (on a Centos 6.5 x64 machine) Postgresql 9 latest stable version.

The application i use need lots of static DB connections: in the 9 version, how many connections can be declared in
postgresql.conf?
I searched for a max number but i noticed it is not specified.

Thank you,
Francesco

Re: DB Connections

From
Vick Khera

The application i use need lots of static DB connections: in the 9 version, how many connections can be declared in postgresql.conf?
I searched for a max number but i noticed it is not specified.

It depends on how much shared memory you give to the postgres process. How many are you looking to have?

Re: DB Connections

From
sameer malve ⎝⏠⏝⏠⎠

Hello ,

Just use pgtune utility it will give an o/p of u r postgres.conf  depending on your machine hardware .
Regards,
Sameer

The application i use need lots of static DB connections: in the 9 version, how many connections can be declared in postgresql.conf?
I searched for a max number but i noticed it is not specified.

It depends on how much shared memory you give to the postgres process. How many are you looking to have?

Re: DB Connections

From
Adrian Klaver
Date:
On 03/13/2015 02:59 AM, Job wrote:
> Hello,
>
> i have just installed (on a Centos 6.5 x64 machine) Postgresql 9 latest stable version.
>
> The application i use need lots of static DB connections: in the 9 version, how many connections can be declared in
postgresql.conf?
> I searched for a max number but i noticed it is not specified.

Without some concrete information this will difficult to answer.

1) How many is lots?

2) Why do you need static connections?

3) What are the hardware specifications for your machine?

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: DB Connections

From
John R Pierce
Date:
On 3/13/2015 6:51 AM, sameer malve ⎝⏠⏝⏠⎠ wrote:
> Just use pgtune utility it will give an o/p of u r postgres.conf
> depending on your machine hardware .

I find on newer large hardware, pg_tune makes some over-the-top choices.

Re: DB Connections

From
John R Pierce
Date:
On 3/13/2015 2:59 AM, Job wrote:
> The application i use need lots of static DB connections

if lots is much over a 100 or so, I'd strongly advise using a connection
pooler like pgbouncer or whatever is built into your language framework
(for instance, Java frameworks like Tomcat have built in connection
pools), and configuring your app to grab a connection from the pool, do
a transaction and release the connection.