vacuum full post 9.0 - reindex needed?

From
"Anand Kumar, Karthik"
Date:
I haven’t been able to find clear information online about what happens with existing indexes on a postgres post-9.0 database (we specifically use 9.3) after a vacuum full.

There is a lot of information on how a vacuum differs from a vacuum full, but my question is – is a re-index needed after a full vacuum?

We’ve seen from practice that indexes do work after vacuum fulls, but – will a reindex make them more optimal?

~Karthik

Re: vacuum full post 9.0 - reindex needed?

From
Guillaume Lelarge
Date:

I haven’t been able to find clear information online about what happens with existing indexes on a postgres post-9.0 database (we specifically use 9.3) after a vacuum full.

There is a lot of information on how a vacuum differs from a vacuum full, but my question is – is a re-index needed after a full vacuum?

We’ve seen from practice that indexes do work after vacuum fulls, but – will a reindex make them more optimal?

Starting from 9.0, you don't need to REINDEX after a VACUUM FULL.