localtime(0)

From
Suresh Raja
Hi:

I'm using  localtime(0) in various part of the function, and updating table with the time. I use localtime at places like the start of the function and at the end of the function. The function takes about 5 mins to run,.  The issue is that the function always print the same time for both start and end.  I'm trying to capture the time at various point of the function, but it always print the same time.  Is localtime(0) is not correct.

Thanks,
-SR

Re: localtime(0)

From
Rob Sargent
Date:
I'm using  localtime(0) in various part of the function, and updating table with the time. I use localtime at places like the start of the function and at the end of the function. The function takes about 5 mins to run,.  The issue is that the function always print the same time for both start and end.  I'm trying to capture the time at various point of the function, but it always print the same time.  Is localtime(0) is not correct.

Thanks,
-SR

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.3/static/functions-datetime.html#FUNCTIONS-DATETIME-CURRENT

Re: localtime(0)

From
Adrian Klaver
Date:
On 12/29/2014 08:32 AM, Suresh Raja wrote:
> Hi:
>
> I'm using localtime(0) in various part of the function, and updating
> table with the time. I use localtime at places like the start of the
> function and at the end of the function. The function takes about 5 mins
> to run,.  The issue is that the function always print the same time for
> both start and end.  I'm trying to capture the time at various point of
> the function, but it always print the same time.  Is localtime(0) is not

See:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.3/interactive/functions-datetime.html#FUNCTIONS-DATETIME-CURRENT

In particular clock_timestamp()

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: localtime(0)

From
Suresh Raja
Date:
clock_timestamp() gives more than I need. i just need time, - no date, or msec or timezone.  How can i get to print the current time alone.

Thanks,

[...]

Raymond O'Donnell
Date:
On 29/12/2014 17:25, Suresh Raja wrote:
> clock_timestamp() gives more than I need. i just need time, - no date,
> or msec or timezone.  How can i get to print the current time alone.

Please don't top-post; the convention on this list is to bottom-post, as
it makes discussions easier to follow.

Depending on your needs, you could use to_char() to format the value of
clock_timestamp() as you wish. This outputs a string rather than a time
value, but would be fine for logging, say.

Ray.

--
Raymond O'Donnell :: Galway :: Ireland
rod@iol.ie

Re: localtime(0)

Date:
"Raymond O'Donnell" <rod@iol.ie> writes:
> On 29/12/2014 17:25, Suresh Raja wrote:
>> clock_timestamp() gives more than I need. i just need time, - no date,
>> or msec or timezone.  How can i get to print the current time alone.

> Please don't top-post; the convention on this list is to bottom-post, as
> it makes discussions easier to follow.

> Depending on your needs, you could use to_char() to format the value of
> clock_timestamp() as you wish. This outputs a string rather than a time
> value, but would be fine for logging, say.

EXTRACT() might help, too.

            regards, tom lane