PGDATA

From
Adrian Klaver
Date:
Just out of curiosity is there a reason PGDATA is not listed with the
other environment variables here?:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.3/interactive/libpq-envars.html

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: PGDATA

From
David G Johnston
Date:
Adrian Klaver-4 wrote
> Just out of curiosity is there a reason PGDATA is not listed with the
> other environment variables here?:
>
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.3/interactive/libpq-envars.html

Yes, because PGDATA is not a client concern and thus is not something that
libpq cares about.

Clients only care about the public interface the server offers - stuff that
is socket related or that aids in identifying itself.

David J.

Re: PGDATA

From
Michael Paquier
Date:
On Thu, Dec 18, 2014 at 10:23 AM, Adrian Klaver
<adrian.klaver@aklaver.com> wrote:
> Just out of curiosity is there a reason PGDATA is not listed with the other
> environment variables here?:
>
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.3/interactive/libpq-envars.html
PGDATA is not an environment variables that can be used for
connections with libpq, see for example fe-connect.c.
--
Michael

Re: PGDATA

From
Adrian Klaver
Date:
On 12/17/2014 05:39 PM, Michael Paquier wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 18, 2014 at 10:23 AM, Adrian Klaver
> <adrian.klaver@aklaver.com> wrote:
>> Just out of curiosity is there a reason PGDATA is not listed with the other
>> environment variables here?:
>>
>> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.3/interactive/libpq-envars.html
> PGDATA is not an environment variables that can be used for
> connections with libpq, see for example fe-connect.c.

I see. Still it would be nice to have all the environment variables in
one place.

Are there any more then those listed on the libpq page and PGDATA?

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: PGDATA

From
Michael Paquier
Date:
On Thu, Dec 18, 2014 at 12:05 PM, Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@aklaver.com> wrote:
Are there any more then those listed on the libpq page and PGDATA?
No other PG* I am aware of.
--
Michael

Re: PGDATA

Date:
> On 12/17/2014 05:39 PM, Michael Paquier wrote:
>> PGDATA is not an environment variables that can be used for
>> connections with libpq, see for example fe-connect.c.

> I see. Still it would be nice to have all the environment variables in
> one place.
> Are there any more then those listed on the libpq page and PGDATA?

The server doesn't react to libpq's environment variables at all,
so it wouldn't be particularly sensible to list them together.

The ones it does react to are all, I think, listed on the "postgres"
reference page:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.3/static/app-postgres.html

            regards, tom lane