anyone using oid2name?

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
pgsql-hackers are discussing some housekeeping in contrib.

Is anyone using the oid2name tool?

Otherwise, we might deprecate and eventually remove it.

Re: anyone using oid2name?

Date:
On Fri, Dec 12, 2014 at 09:18:53AM -0500, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> pgsql-hackers are discussing some housekeeping in contrib.
>
> Is anyone using the oid2name tool?
>
> Otherwise, we might deprecate and eventually remove it.

Uh, if we remove it, what tool does someone use from the command-line to
find the objects represented by files?

  + Everyone has their own god. +

Re: anyone using oid2name?

From
Atri Sharma

On Friday, December 12, 2014, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
On Fri, Dec 12, 2014 at 09:18:53AM -0500, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> pgsql-hackers are discussing some housekeeping in contrib.
>
> Is anyone using the oid2name tool?
>
> Otherwise, we might deprecate and eventually remove it.

Uh, if we remove it, what tool does someone use from the command-line to
find the objects represented by files?

+1

Removing a convenience tool without a stable alternative replacement doesn't seem intuitive.

Regards,

Atri

Atri
l'apprenant

Re: anyone using oid2name?

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
On 12/12/14 9:25 AM, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 12, 2014 at 09:18:53AM -0500, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>> pgsql-hackers are discussing some housekeeping in contrib.
>>
>> Is anyone using the oid2name tool?
>>
>> Otherwise, we might deprecate and eventually remove it.
>
> Uh, if we remove it, what tool does someone use from the command-line to
> find the objects represented by files?

I don't know.  I want to find out what people are using it for.

One option would be to tweak some psql backslash commands to show the
information.  Most of the functionality is already there.

Re: anyone using oid2name?

Date:
On Fri, Dec 12, 2014 at 09:42:48AM -0500, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> On 12/12/14 9:25 AM, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > On Fri, Dec 12, 2014 at 09:18:53AM -0500, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> >> pgsql-hackers are discussing some housekeeping in contrib.
> >>
> >> Is anyone using the oid2name tool?
> >>
> >> Otherwise, we might deprecate and eventually remove it.
> >
> > Uh, if we remove it, what tool does someone use from the command-line to
> > find the objects represented by files?
>
> I don't know.  I want to find out what people are using it for.
>
> One option would be to tweak some psql backslash commands to show the
> information.  Most of the functionality is already there.

True.  It might be possible to just document a psql -c command to do it.

  + Everyone has their own god. +

Re: anyone using oid2name?

From
Jeff Janes
Date:
pgsql-hackers are discussing some housekeeping in contrib.

Is anyone using the oid2name tool?

Otherwise, we might deprecate and eventually remove it.

I use it occasionally (but really dislike it) during testing and debugging, to help decipher what is going on.  It is a chain of information flow from strace to lsof to oid2name.

I could probably use pg_class instead if I could ever remember what the difference was between oid and relfilenode.

Cheers,

Jeff

Re: anyone using oid2name?

Date:
On Fri, Dec 12, 2014 at 09:18:01AM -0800, Jeff Janes wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 12, 2014 at 6:18 AM, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net> wrote:
>
>     pgsql-hackers are discussing some housekeeping in contrib.
>
>     Is anyone using the oid2name tool?
>
>     Otherwise, we might deprecate and eventually remove it.
>

> I use it occasionally (but really dislike it) during testing and debugging, to
> help decipher what is going on.  It is a chain of information flow from strace
> to lsof to oid2name.
>
> I could probably use pg_class instead if I could ever remember what the
> difference was between oid and relfilenode.

The fact oid2name is called that, but references relfilenode, doesn't
help my memory either.  ;-)

  + Everyone has their own god. +