recovering from "too many failures" wal error

From
CS DBA
Date:
All;

We have a postgresql 9.2 cluster setup to do continuous wal archiving.
We were archiving to a mount point that went offline. As a result the db
could not archive the wal files, we ended up with many many errors in
the logs indicating the file could not be archived:

WARNING:  transaction log file "0000000100000FB100000050" could not be
archived: too many failures

So we caught the issue before the file system filled up, fixed the mount
point and I see wal files being added to the target wal archive
directory.  However the pg_xlog directory does not seem to be shrinking,
there are currently 27,546 files in the pg_xlog directory and that
number is not changed in some time (since we fixed the mount point.

I assume the db will at some point remove the backed up files in the
pg_xlog dir, is this true? or do I need to intervene?

Thanks in advance

Re: recovering from "too many failures" wal error

From
Andy Colson
Date:
On 11/29/2014 3:37 PM, CS DBA wrote:
> All;
>
> We have a postgresql 9.2 cluster setup to do continuous wal archiving.
> We were archiving to a mount point that went offline. As a result the db
> could not archive the wal files, we ended up with many many errors in
> the logs indicating the file could not be archived:
>
> WARNING:  transaction log file "0000000100000FB100000050" could not be
> archived: too many failures
>
> So we caught the issue before the file system filled up, fixed the mount
> point and I see wal files being added to the target wal archive
> directory.  However the pg_xlog directory does not seem to be shrinking,
> there are currently 27,546 files in the pg_xlog directory and that
> number is not changed in some time (since we fixed the mount point.
>
> I assume the db will at some point remove the backed up files in the
> pg_xlog dir, is this true? or do I need to intervene?
>
> Thanks in advance

 From what I recall from this list, you should never play in pg_xlog.
You'll probably do more damage than good.  PG should take care of itself.

Are you still getting error messages?  Looks like its been a few days,
has it shrunk yet?

-Andy

Re: recovering from "too many failures" wal error

From
Andres Freund
Date:
On 2014-11-29 14:37:56 -0700, CS DBA wrote:
> All;
>
> We have a postgresql 9.2 cluster setup to do continuous wal archiving. We
> were archiving to a mount point that went offline. As a result the db could
> not archive the wal files, we ended up with many many errors in the logs
> indicating the file could not be archived:
>
> WARNING:  transaction log file "0000000100000FB100000050" could not be
> archived: too many failures
>
> So we caught the issue before the file system filled up, fixed the mount
> point and I see wal files being added to the target wal archive directory.
> However the pg_xlog directory does not seem to be shrinking, there are
> currently 27,546 files in the pg_xlog directory and that number is not
> changed in some time (since we fixed the mount point.
>
> I assume the db will at some point remove the backed up files in the pg_xlog
> dir, is this true? or do I need to intervene?

The archiver will restart trying to archive if either a timeout has
passed (60s?) or if a new file is ready to be archived. So there should
be no need to intervene after fixing archiving. Are files being archived
again? Specifically ones that previously failed?
WAL files will only be removed around checkpoints - you could force one
by manually issuing a 'CHECKPOINT;' statement.

Greetings,

Andres Freund

Re: recovering from "too many failures" wal error

From
Sameer Kumar

We have a postgresql 9.2 cluster setup to do continuous wal archiving.
We were archiving to a mount point that went offline. As a result the db
could not archive the wal files, we ended up with many many errors in
the logs indicating the file could not be archived:

WARNING:  transaction log file "0000000100000FB100000050" could not be
archived: too many failures

So we caught the issue before the file system filled up, fixed the mount
point and I see wal files being added to the target wal archive
directory.  However the pg_xlog directory does not seem to be shrinking,
there are currently 27,546 files in the pg_xlog directory and that
number is not changed in some time (since we fixed the mount point.

I assume the db will at some point remove the backed up files in the
pg_xlog dir, is this true? or do I need to intervene?

Thanks in advance

>From what I recall from this list, you should never play in pg_xlog. You'll probably do more damage than good.  PG should take care of itself.

​+1
Don't ever do that​

Are you still getting error messages?  Looks like its been a few days, has it shrunk yet?

​if you are still getting error try to force an archival with

set synchronous_commit=off;  -- needed only if you are replicating to synchronous slaves

select pg_switch_xlog(); -- though not neccessary

select pg_start_backup('test');​

select pg_stop_backup();

I use these commands to test if archival is working fine or to force archival

Best Regards,

Sameer Kumar | Database Consultant

ASHNIK PTE. LTD.

101 Cecil Street, #11-11 Tong Eng Building, Singapore 069533

M: +65 8110 0350  T: +65 6438 3504 | www.ashnik.com

icons

Email patch

This email may contain confidential, privileged or copyright material and is solely for the use of the intended recipient(s).

Attachment