High Availability Cluster

From
Maila Fatticcioni
Date:

Re: High Availability Cluster

From
Andreas Kretschmer
Date:
Maila Fatticcioni <mfatticcioni@mbigroup.it> wrote:

> Hello.
> I need to set up a high availability cluster with two servers. I have
> looked for the best configuration I could use but I cannot find
> anything I like. I cannot used the DRBD option and I have to use
>
> I was wondering if there is another way to set up a complete cluster
> that would manage in case of failure:
>
> * the relocation of the VIP (virtual ip address)
> * the relocation of the main instance of Postgresql
>
> Best Regards,
> Maila Fatticcioni

Why not DRBD & Pacemaker?

Andreas

Date:

Re: High Availability Cluster

From
Sameer Kumar

On Thu, Nov 27, 2014 at 7:26 PM, Maila Fatticcioni <mfatticcioni@mbigroup.it> wrote:
I was wondering if there is another way to set up a complete cluster
that would manage in case of failure:

* the relocation of the VIP (virtual ip address)
* the relocation of the main instance of Postgresql

​Consider trying pgpool. It has an HA mode (and I think the latest version works using a heartbeat, the older one uses watchdog).

If you are up for a commercial product, you may want to consider using something like EnterpriseDB's failover manager.

Best Regards,

Sameer Kumar | Database Consultant

ASHNIK PTE. LTD.

101 Cecil Street, #11-11 Tong Eng Building, Singapore 069533

M: +65 8110 0350  T: +65 6438 3504 | www.ashnik.com

icons

Email patch

This email may contain confidential, privileged or copyright material and is solely for the use of the intended recipient(s).

Attachment

Re: High Availability Cluster

From
Tatsuo Ishii
Date:
> On Thu, Nov 27, 2014 at 7:26 PM, Maila Fatticcioni <mfatticcioni@mbigroup.it
>> wrote:
>
>> I was wondering if there is another way to set up a complete cluster
>> that would manage in case of failure:
>>
>> * the relocation of the VIP (virtual ip address)
>> * the relocation of the main instance of Postgresql
>>

> ​Consider trying pgpool. It has an HA mode (and I think the latest version
> works using a heartbeat, the older one uses watchdog).

No. Just the implementation of watchdog has been changed (more
precisely new life check mode added). In recent versions (since 3.3)
it uses UDP packet for life check of pgpool, which is pretty much
similar to heartbeat.

> If you are up for a commercial product, you may want to consider using
> something like EnterpriseDB's failover manager.

Commercial support for pgpool-II is provided by the way.

Best regards,
--
Tatsuo Ishii
SRA OSS, Inc. Japan

Re: High Availability Cluster

From
Sameer Kumar

No. Just the implementation of watchdog has been changed (more
precisely new life check mode added). In recent versions (since 3.3)
it uses UDP packet for life check of pgpool, which is pretty much
similar to heartbeat.

​Thanks for adding the details.

> If you are up for a commercial product, you may want to consider using
> something like EnterpriseDB's failover manager.

Commercial support for pgpool-II is provided by the way.
Noted :)​