reindex table deadlock

From
Dan H
Date:
Hi,

I encountered a deadlock while running 'reindex table TABLE1' in
postgresql version 9.2.4
The postgresql logs shows the two offending processes.

1st process was running reindex table TABLE1
waiting for AccessExclusiveLock on primary key index of TABLE1

2nd process was running stored procedure that executes selects and
deletes to TABLE1
waiting for RowExclusiveLock on TABLE1.

Is this the same lock upgrade deadlock issue that someone has
previously mentioned with reindex?

Re: reindex table deadlock

From
jaime soler
Date:
El vie, 07-11-2014 a las 10:02 -0500, Dan H escribió:
> Hi,
>
> I encountered a deadlock while running 'reindex table TABLE1' in
> postgresql version 9.2.4
> The postgresql logs shows the two offending processes.
>
> 1st process was running reindex table TABLE1
> waiting for AccessExclusiveLock on primary key index of TABLE1
>
> 2nd process was running stored procedure that executes selects and
> deletes to TABLE1
> waiting for RowExclusiveLock on TABLE1.
>
> Is this the same lock upgrade deadlock issue that someone has
> previously mentioned with reindex?

Why don't you use create index concurrently to avoid the ACCESS
EXCLUSIVE lock and uses a SHARE UPDATE EXCLUSIVE lock?