Standby Server and Barman Backup on production system

From
Sebastian Fiedler - Nexst4 GmbH
Date:
Hello,
I had followed this discuss
(http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CABRT9RAXzUa=_zT_M4Z1vyDuFkpgNCZLUnRTUO5gvK2kKkNu=A@mail.gmail.com).

I have a similar problem now:

I use one Postgres Server as Master an an other one as Standby (WAL
archives).
I do also a daily backup of the Master Server using pg_dump.
Now there is a situation where a possible restore via "cat dumpfile |
psql ...." takes to long and the server load is too high.

So my idea is to use barman for backup.
Is it possible to use wal replication and barman backupin one config file?
Is there someone how has experience with this?

The relevant barman (test)config looks like:

wal_level = archive
archive_mode = on
archive_command = 'rsync -a %p /var/lib/barman/btest/incoming/%f'

The relevant wal replication config on production system (master) looks
like:
wal_level = hot_standby
archive_mode = on
archive_command = 'rsync -a %p -e "ssh -i
/var/lib/postgresql/.ssh/id_rsa"
postgres@standby.srv:/var/lib/postgresql/9.1/wals/master_main/%f </dev/null'

Can I use a 2'nd rsync command here? How should I do?
What are differences between "wal_level = archive" and "wal_level =
archive" or doesn't matter here?

--
Nexst4 GmbH
Riesaer Straße 7

Tel.: +49 (351) 655 76 64
Fax: +49 (351) 655 76 66
Mail: sebastian.fiedler@nexst4.de

Geschäftsführer: Matthias Schmidt, Alf Thiele
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Dresden
HRB 27274

Re: Standby Server and Barman Backup on production system

From
Francisco Olarte
Hello Sebastian:

On Thu, Jul 10, 2014 at 11:23 AM, Sebastian Fiedler - Nexst4 GmbH
<sebastian.fiedler@nexst4.de> wrote:
> I use one Postgres Server as Master an an other one as Standby (WAL
> archives).
> I do also a daily backup of the Master Server using pg_dump.
> Now there is a situation where a possible restore via "cat dumpfile |
> psql ...." takes to long and the server load is too high.

Aside from the barman stuff. We have a similar setup ( master + hot
standby plus dumps ). The time to restore the dumps is only taken when
you have a real disaster ( if the master fails you use the standby,
not restore the master ) ( Also, if some of the users deletes *, I
consider it a real disaster ) so it is not that critical. Also, we've
observed text backups are worse than custom format backups, as they
force a full restore on you ( we do a coupe of trick which schemas and
partitions which allows us to restore the main tables, go back online,
and backfill the historics once app is running ). And also, do you
have a custom config for restore? For disaster recovery, as the db
cannot be used while it is in progress, we stop, change the conf to a
tuned one ( things like fsync=off, wal_level=minimal, lots of
checkpoint segments, archive mode off, full page writes off ), restore
( which goes much, much faster ), and restart with the production
conf.

Regards.
    Francisco Olarte.