breakpoints in eclipse using postgresql

From
Ravi Kiran
Date:
hi,

I am using helios Eclipse for debugging my code in postgresql.

My aim is to know how postgresql uses join algorithms during the join query, so I started to debugnodenestloop.c which is in the Executor folder.

I gave break points in that file, But whenever I try to debug that file, the control goes to main.c and never comes back,How do I constraint the control only to that particular file(nodenestloop.c)

Below are the following fields which I gave in Debug configurations of Helios Eclipse.

C/C++ Application - src/backend/postgres and project - pgsql

I followed the steps given in the following link for running the program.

https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Working_with_Eclipse#

I even uncheked the field "Start on Start up=main" , but When I do that, The step in and Step overbuttons are not activated and the following problem has popped up.

Could not save master table to file '/home/ravi/workspace/.metadata/.plugins/org.eclipse.core.resources/.safetable/org.eclipse.core.resources'. /home/ravi/workspace/.metadata/.plugins/org.eclipse.core.resources/.safetable/org.eclipse.core.resources (Permission denied)

So I started eclipse using sudo, but this time the following error has come in the console of eclipse.

"root" execution of the PostgreSQL server is not permitted. The server must be started under an unprivileged user ID to prevent possible system security compromise. See the documentation for more information on how to properly start the server.

Could any one help me with this.

Thank you

Re: breakpoints in eclipse using postgresql

From
Adrian Klaver
Date:
On 07/06/2014 05:44 AM, Ravi Kiran wrote:
> hi,
>
> I am using helios Eclipse for debugging my code in postgresql.
>
> My aim is to know how postgresql uses join algorithms during the join
> query, so I started to debug*nodenestloop.c* which is in the Executor
> folder.
>
> I gave break points in that file, But whenever I try to debug that file,
> the control goes to main.c and never comes back,How do I constraint the
> control only to that particular file(nodenestloop.c)
>
> Below are the following fields which I gave in Debug configurations of
> Helios Eclipse.
>
> *C/C++ Application - src/backend/postgres* and *project - pgsql*
>
> I followed the steps given in the following link for running the program.
>
> https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Working_with_Eclipse#
>
> I even uncheked the field "*Start on Start up=main*" , but When I do
> that, The *step in and Step over*buttons are not activated and the
> following problem has popped up.
>
> /Could not save master table to file
> '/home/ravi/workspace/.metadata/.plugins/org.eclipse.core.resources/.safetable/org.eclipse.core.resources'.
> /home/ravi/workspace/.metadata/.plugins/org.eclipse.core.resources/.safetable/org.eclipse.core.resources
> (Permission denied)/

So who are you running Eclipse as and do they have permissions on the
above directory?

> So I started eclipse using sudo, but this time the following error has
> come in the console of eclipse.
>
> /"root" execution of the PostgreSQL server is not permitted. The server
> must be started under an unprivileged user ID to prevent possible system
> security compromise. See the documentation for more information on how
> to properly start the server./

As the message states Postgres will not run as root.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com