Examples of projects that use Postgres "as API server"

From
Ben Ellis
Date:
Hi all,

I've been using Postgres for a small project and I've been very impressed by its flexibility in defining new types and functions.  I very much like having the ability to define a clean relational model and then a set of functions that act as the API to the data stored in my model.

Does anyone know of a project or projects that use Postgres in a fashion like this?  I'd love to read the schemas of a project like that.

It's entirely possible that I'm just nuts, but it seems like a very good idea to me-- or at least a happy medium between 'the database is just tables' and 'cram everything into the database!'

Curiously,

Ben

Re: Examples of projects that use Postgres "as API server"

From
Emre Hasegeli
Date:
> I've been using Postgres for a small project and I've been very impressed
> by its flexibility in defining new types and functions.  I very much like
> having the ability to define a clean relational model and then a set of
> functions that act as the API to the data stored in my model.
>
> Does anyone know of a project or projects that use Postgres in a fashion
> like this?  I'd love to read the schemas of a project like that.

I am developing an application to send bulk emails.  Most of its logic
is inside PostgreSQL.  The schema is here:

http://github.com/tart/tart-mailer/tree/master/db

Re: Examples of projects that use Postgres "as API server"

From
Bill Moran
Date:
On Mon, 30 Jun 2014 16:46:42 +0300 Emre Hasegeli <emre@hasegeli.com> wrote:

> > I've been using Postgres for a small project and I've been very impressed
> > by its flexibility in defining new types and functions.  I very much like
> > having the ability to define a clean relational model and then a set of
> > functions that act as the API to the data stored in my model.
> >
> > Does anyone know of a project or projects that use Postgres in a fashion
> > like this?  I'd love to read the schemas of a project like that.

I'd forgotten about this, and for some reason remembered it now:
https://schemaverse.com/

--
Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>

Re: Examples of projects that use Postgres "as API server"

From
Thomas Kellerer
Date:
Ben Ellis, 29.06.2014 03:10:
> Hi all,
>
> I've been using Postgres for a small project and I've been very
> impressed by its flexibility in defining new types and functions.  I
> very much like having the ability to define a clean relational model
> and then a set of functions that act as the API to the data stored in
> my model.
>
> Does anyone know of a project or projects that use Postgres in a
> fashion like this?  I'd love to read the schemas of a project like
> that.
>
> It's entirely possible that I'm just nuts, but it seems like a very
> good idea to me-- or at least a happy medium between 'the database is
> just tables' and 'cram everything into the database!'

LedgerSMB comes to mind:

http://ledgersmbdev.blogspot.de/2012/01/thoughts-on-what-to-put-in-database.html