A guide about some topics of Associate Certification

From
Oscar Calderon
Date:
Everybody have a nice day. Well, finally the place where i currently work paid me a chance to take the Associate Certification exam and i'm reviewing some topics, specifically the topics that the exam covers (some of them are easy to me like psql, which i use almost everyday) but i have doubt about 2 of the topics and i don't know if i already have the knowledgement about those topics.

The topics are:

  • Postgres Data Dictionary: This is about information schema?
  • Moving Data: This is about migration? Or about moving tablespaces in the file system?
Unfortunately i don't have enough money to pay for the training so i don't have any reference about what those topics talk about. I just ask for your help for a reference about what does it means each topic, just as a start point to read about it and practice.

Regards.

***************************
Oscar Calderon
Analista de Sistemas
Soluciones Aplicativas S.A. de C.V.
www.solucionesaplicativas.com
Cel. (503) 7741 7850 Tel. (503) 2522-2834

Re: A guide about some topics of Associate Certification

From
Albe Laurenz
Date:
Oscar Calderon wrote:
> Everybody have a nice day. Well, finally the place where i currently work paid me a chance to take the
> Associate Certification exam and i'm reviewing some topics, specifically the topics that the exam
> covers (some of them are easy to me like psql, which i use almost everyday) but i have doubt about 2
> of the topics and i don't know if i already have the knowledgement about those topics.
>
> The topics are:
>
> *    Postgres Data Dictionary: This is about information schema?

I am not sure because PostgreSQL does not use the term "data dictionary".
It *might* be this refers to the information_schema, but my bet is that
what is meant are the "system catalogs":
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/catalogs.html
Oracle uses the term "data dictionary" like that.

> *    Moving Data: This is about migration? Or about moving tablespaces in the file system?

I'm also not sure.
Maybe it is refering to
   ALTER TABLE table_name SET TABLESPACE new_tablespace
which will move the table to a different tablespace
(different from "ALTER DATABASE db_name SET TABLESPACE new_tablespace",
which will set the default for future tables).

Other things that move data around are commands like CLUSTER,
VACUUM FULL or forms of ALTER TABLE that rewrite the table,
but I don't know if I would headline them "moving data".

Yours,
Laurenz Albe

Re: A guide about some topics of Associate Certification

From
jaime soler
Date:
On mar, 2014-03-25 at 17:50 -0600, Oscar Calderon wrote:

Hi Oscar,

I've taked the enterprisedb trainings.

> Everybody have a nice day. Well, finally the place where i currently
> work paid me a chance to take the Associate Certification exam and i'm
> reviewing some topics, specifically the topics that the exam covers
> (some of them are easy to me like psql, which i use almost everyday)
> but i have doubt about 2 of the topics and i don't know if i already
> have the knowledgement about those topics.
>

> The topics are:
>

>       * Postgres Data Dictionary: This is about information schema?
It's about system catalog:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.3/static/catalogs.html

>       * Moving Data: This is about migration? Or about moving
>         tablespaces in the file system?
No. It's refer to the process of import/export data using the COPY
command:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.3/static/sql-copy.html

> Unfortunately i don't have enough money to pay for the training so i
> don't have any reference about what those topics talk about. I just
> ask for your help for a reference about what does it means each topic,
> just as a start point to read about it and practice.
>

> Regards.
>

> ***************************
> Oscar Calderon
> Analista de Sistemas
> Soluciones Aplicativas S.A. de C.V.
> www.solucionesaplicativas.com
> Cel. (503) 7741 7850 Tel. (503) 2522-2834

Re: A guide about some topics of Associate Certification

From
Oscar Calderon

Ok! Now it's clear to me about what should i focus, thank you Albe and Jaime for your help.

Regards.

Oscar Calderon
Analista de Sistemas
Soluciones Aplicativas S.A de C.V
www.solucionesaplicativas.com
Cel.(503) 7741-7850   Tel.(503) 2522-2834
Sent from my Nexus 7