Postgres 9.3.1 and Self Test Failure "pg_regress: no *.source files found"

From
Jeffrey Walton
Date:
The following dropped out of `make check` for Postgres 9.3.1.

Any ideas how to clear the error? I could not locate answers when
searching the phrase.

Thanks in advance.

**********

$ make check

mkdir ./testtablespace
../../../src/test/regress/pg_regress --inputdir=.
--temp-install=./tmp_check --top-builddir=../../..   --dlpath=.
--schedule=./parallel_schedule
pg_regress: no *.source files found in
"/home/jwalton/postgresql-9.3.1/src/test/regress/input"
make[1]: *** [check] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/jwalton/postgresql-9.3.1/src/test/regress'
make: *** [check] Error 2
$

Jeffrey Walton <noloader@gmail.com> writes:
> The following dropped out of `make check` for Postgres 9.3.1.

Sure you've got a complete source tree?  There ought to be files in
that directory:

$ ls src/test/regress/input
constraints.source        create_function_2.source  security_label.source
copy.source               largeobject.source        tablespace.source
create_function_1.source  misc.source

            regards, tom lane

Re: Postgres 9.3.1 and Self Test Failure "pg_regress: no *.source files found"

From
Jeffrey Walton
Date:
Thanks Tom.

On Mon, Nov 11, 2013 at 8:51 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> Jeffrey Walton <noloader@gmail.com> writes:
>> The following dropped out of `make check` for Postgres 9.3.1.
>
> Sure you've got a complete source tree?  There ought to be files in
> that directory:
>
> $ ls src/test/regress/input
> constraints.source        create_function_2.source  security_label.source
> copy.source               largeobject.source        tablespace.source
> create_function_1.source  misc.source
Yes, I have them. (I download 9.3.1 from
http://www.postgresql.org/ftp/source/v9.3.1/).

From below, I'm thinking --inputdir might not be quite correct. `mkdir
./testtablespace` creates testtablespace in regress/, not input/. I'd
like to try --inputdir=./input/.

The GNUmakefile in the top level directory and the regress/ directory
do not include the string "--inputdir". Any ideas where I can tune it?

Thanks for the help.

mkdir ./testtablespace
../../../src/test/regress/pg_regress --inputdir=.
--temp-install=./tmp_check --top-builddir=../../..   --dlpath=.
--schedule=./parallel_schedule
pg_regress: no *.source files found in
"/home/jwalton/postgresql-9.3.1/src/test/regress/input"
make[1]: *** [check] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/jwalton/postgresql-9.3.1/src/test/regress'
make: *** [check] Error 2

Jeffrey Walton <noloader@gmail.com> writes:
> From below, I'm thinking --inputdir might not be quite correct. `mkdir
> ./testtablespace` creates testtablespace in regress/, not input/. I'd
> like to try --inputdir=./input/.
> The GNUmakefile in the top level directory and the regress/ directory
> do not include the string "--inputdir". Any ideas where I can tune it?

It really should not be necessary for you to hack the makefiles before
"make check" will pass.  In any case, pg_regress seems to be reporting
that it searched the correct directory.

Given the upthread discussion about readdir having alignment issues in the
environment you're using, I'm suspecting that that is somehow causing
pg_regress to fail to find anything while it searches the directory.
Does that sound plausible at all?  Look at pgfnames() in
src/common/pgfnames.c and convert_sourcefiles_in() in
src/test/regress/pg_regress.c.

Date:
On Mon, Nov 11, 2013 at 10:26 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> Jeffrey Walton <noloader@gmail.com> writes:
>> From below, I'm thinking --inputdir might not be quite correct. `mkdir
>> ./testtablespace` creates testtablespace in regress/, not input/. I'd
>> like to try --inputdir=./input/.
>> The GNUmakefile in the top level directory and the regress/ directory
>> do not include the string "--inputdir". Any ideas where I can tune it?
>
> It really should not be necessary for you to hack the makefiles before
> "make check" will pass.  In any case, pg_regress seems to be reporting
> that it searched the correct directory.
>
> Given the upthread discussion about readdir having alignment issues in the
> environment you're using, I'm suspecting that that is somehow causing
> pg_regress to fail to find anything while it searches the directory.
> Does that sound plausible at all?  Look at pgfnames() in
You were right.... I copied the fiddled-with postgres-9.3.1 onto that
Ubuntu VM rather than downloading a fresh copy.

Jeff