Tablespace on Postgrsql

From
devonline
Date:
I am new to PostgreSQL.

I  would like to know whether to use  /pg_default/ Table space  to create
Database  and its objetcs or to create custom Table space?

I could not find what is recommended .

Thanks
Dev Online

Re: Tablespace on Postgrsql

From
John R Pierce
Date:
On 7/24/2013 12:31 PM, devonline wrote:
I am new to PostgreSQL.

I  would like to know whether to use  /pg_default/ Table space  to create
Database  and its objetcs or to create custom Table space?

I could not find what is recommended .

tablespaces are usually only useful on very large scale servers where you have multiple big raids and want to manually distribute the IO across them.   for most installations, the pg_default tablespace is just fine for everything.

Re: Tablespace on Postgrsql

From
devonline
Date:
We do have large Database  with RAID 10. we do have Replication(Hot backup) .
we would like to have the same on PostgreSQL when we migrate to PostgreSQL .

Should we create separate tablespaces for Database and its objects or
pg_default is fine as you have mentioned earlier

Thanks a lot

Dev Online

Re: Tablespace on Postgrsql

From
John R Pierce
Date:
On 7/24/2013 1:32 PM, devonline wrote:
> We do have large Database  with RAID 10. we do have Replication(Hot backup) .
> we would like to have the same on PostgreSQL when we migrate to PostgreSQL .
>

> Should we create separate tablespaces for Database and its objects or
> pg_default is fine as you have mentioned earlier

define 'large' ?

if its all on the same raid10 there's no performance advantage to doing
separate tablespaces.   mostly, it makes administration more complicated

Re: Tablespace on Postgrsql

From
devonline
Date:
Our current database size is

1 Terabyte

Thanks

Re: Tablespace on Postgrsql

From
Luca Ferrari
Date:
On Thu, Jul 25, 2013 at 2:53 AM, devonline <devonline@backpost.com> wrote:
> Our current database size is
>
> 1 Terabyte

The idea behind tablespaces is to gain I/O scattering data (and
therefore requests) across different devices. Therefore you have to
identify first if your database can be "scattered" across different
devices (not different partiion of the same hdd) and then decide which
parts need to get more bandwidth ajnd which can get fewer.

Luca

Re: Tablespace on Postgrsql

From
devonline
Date:
Thanks for the in formation.  Can you please tell me what would be a scalable
architecture? (using pg_default) or separate custom tablespaces

Re: Tablespace on Postgrsql

From
Atri Sharma
Date:
On Fri, Jul 26, 2013 at 7:21 AM, devonline <devonline@backpost.com> wrote:
> Thanks for the in formation.  Can you please tell me what would be a scalable
> architecture? (using pg_default) or separate custom tablespaces

Putting too may tables in one tablespace can lead to confusion, to say
the least. Keeping logically separate tablespaces seems a much saner
idea to me, IMHO.

But if your number of tables is limited, I would suggest using default
tablespace.

Regards,

Atri

Atri
l'apprenant

Re: Tablespace on Postgrsql

From
John R Pierce
Date:
On 7/25/2013 10:16 PM, Atri Sharma wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 26, 2013 at 7:21 AM, devonline<devonline@backpost.com>  wrote:
>> >Thanks for the in formation.  Can you please tell me what would be a scalable
>> >architecture? (using pg_default) or separate custom tablespaces
> Putting too may tables in one tablespace can lead to confusion, to say
> the least. Keeping logically separate tablespaces seems a much saner
> idea to me, IMHO.

schema are the appropriate structure for logically grouping tables if
you have a large number.

tablespaces are purely about the storage.

as I said before, if your server has only one main data raid with one
big file system, then a single tablespace is appropriate.  if your
server has multiple distinct raids and volumes, then different
tablespaces are appropriate.

Re: Tablespace on Postgrsql

From
John R Pierce
Date:
On 7/24/2013 5:53 PM, devonline wrote:
> Our current database size is
>
> 1 Terabyte

I would like to suggest that you pick a smaller system for your first
experience with postgres, and work your way up to the big monster stuff
after you've gained some experience.

a terabyte database is a monster on any system, and requires a lot of
careful planning and compromises.