LibreOffice Base and PostgreSQL Transactions

From
Don Parris
Date:
Hi all,

I have a 4-table DB in PostgreSQL to which I connect using LibreOffice
Base.  I have a form with 2 subforms in place that allows me to:
Select an existing entity (from the ENTITY table)
Add a new financial transaction (to the TRANSREC table)
Add new line items for each transaction (to the TRANSDETAILS table).

I would like to take advantage of PostGRESQL's underlying transaction
(start, rollback, commit, etc.) capability to ensure that a given transaction and its
line items are entered as one single transaction - or allow me to rollback when encountering a glitch.  I just don't know how to implement that using Base as a front-end (or if it's possible).

Maybe I really need something like macros and BASIC or Python to make such
a thing work?  If anyone knows a good tutorial on this subject, I can
certainly read - just haven't really found anything yet.

Many thanks in advance,
Don
--
D.C. Parris, FMP, Linux+, ESL Certificate
Minister, Security/FM Coordinator, Free Software Advocate

Re: LibreOffice Base and PostgreSQL Transactions

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
On 07/18/2013 01:44 PM, Don Parris wrote:

> Maybe I really need something like macros and BASIC or Python to make such
> a thing work?  If anyone knows a good tutorial on this subject, I can
> certainly read - just haven't really found anything yet.
>
> Many thanks in advance,

Hello,

Maybe this will help:

http://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=1426

JD

--
Command Prompt, Inc. - http://www.commandprompt.com/  509-416-6579
High Availability, Oracle Conversion, Postgres-XC, @cmdpromptinc

Date:
Maybe I really need something like macros and BASIC or Python to make such
a thing work?  If anyone knows a good tutorial on this subject, I can
certainly read - just haven't really found anything yet.

Many thanks in advance,

Hello,

Maybe this will help:

http://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=1426

JD

Thanks Josh, that helps a little.  I get the impression from Drew's discussion that it is possible to choose between creating stored procedures in LO Basic and the PGSQL native procedures.  Is that correct?  He gives no examples of how to use the MySQL triggers/procedures, so I am not sure how to ensure that, as I enter my data in the form in Base, it gets "held" until I am ready to hit "submit".

I know very little of LO/OO Basic - or of stored procedures, for that matter.  So it looks like I've got a bit of reading to do.