TRIGGER EVENT

From
Sajeev Mayandi

I am process of porting from sybase to postgresql. Is there syntax equivalent of the TRIGGER EVENT Statement (Please see the sybase help for trigger event below) in Postgresql. NOTE the TRIGGER EVENT in sybase could be used to trigger an user defined event. I am not seeing any similar syntax or any equivalent syntax which behaves similar to it.

Appreciate your help

Thanks,

Sajeev

TRIGGER EVENT statement

Use this statement to trigger a named event. The event may be defined for event triggers or be a scheduled event.

Syntax
TRIGGER EVENT event-name [ ( parm = value, ... ) ]
Parameters
  • parm = value   When a triggering condition causes an event handler to execute, the database server can provide context information to the event handler using the event_parameter function. The TRIGGER EVENT statement allows you to explicitly supply these parameters, to simulate a context for the event handler.

Remarks

Actions are tied to particular trigger conditions or schedules by a CREATE EVENT statement. You can use the TRIGGER EVENT statement to force the event handler to execute, even when the scheduled time or trigger condition has not occurred. TRIGGER EVENT does not execute disabled event handlers.

Each value is a string. The maximum length of each value is limited by the maximum page size specified by the -gp server option. If the length of value exceeds the page size, the string is truncated at the point at which the page is full.

Permissions

Must have DBA authority.

Side effects

None.

Re: TRIGGER EVENT

From
Alvaro Herrera
Date:
Sajeev Mayandi wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am process of porting from sybase to postgresql. Is there syntax equivalent of the TRIGGER EVENT Statement (Please
seethe sybase help for trigger event below) in Postgresql. NOTE the TRIGGER EVENT in sybase could be used to trigger an
userdefined event. I am not seeing any similar syntax or any equivalent syntax which behaves similar to it.

This seems similar to LISTEN / NOTIFY.