search_path for database vs user vs session

From
Moshe Jacobson
Date:
How can I show the value of search_path for the database, the user and the session?
I ask because I cannot explain the following:

$ psql -U postgres -d ises
psql (9.1.4)
Type "help" for help.

postgres@moshe=>devmain:ises=# show search_path;
    search_path
-------------------
 public, audit_log
(1 row)

postgres@moshe=>devmain:ises=# alter database ises set search_path to public, auditlog;
ALTER DATABASE

postgres@moshe=>devmain:ises=# \q
$ psql -U postgres -d ises
psql (9.1.4)
Type "help" for help.

postgres@moshe=>devmain:ises=# show search_path;
    search_path
-------------------
 public, audit_log
(1 row)

Thanks.

--
Moshe Jacobson
Nead Werx, Inc. | Manager of Systems Engineering

"Quality is not an act, it is a habit." -- Aristotle

Re: search_path for database vs user vs session

From
Adrian Klaver
Date:
On 05/27/2013 11:29 AM, Moshe Jacobson wrote:
> How can I show the value of search_path for the database, the user and
> the session?
> I ask because I cannot explain the following:
>
>     $ psql -U postgres -d ises
>     psql (9.1.4)
>     Type "help" for help.
>
>     postgres@moshe=>devmain:ises=# show search_path;
>          search_path
>     -------------------
>       public, audit_log
>     (1 row)
>
>     postgres@moshe=>devmain:ises=# alter database ises set search_path
>     to public, auditlog;
>     ALTER DATABASE
>
>     postgres@moshe=>devmain:ises=# \q
>     $ psql -U postgres -d ises
>     psql (9.1.4)
>     Type "help" for help.
>
>     postgres@moshe=>devmain:ises=# show search_path;
>          search_path
>     -------------------
>       public, audit_log
>     (1 row)

Is the below what you are looking for?

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.2/static/runtime-config-client.html

"The current effective value of the search path can be examined via the
SQL function current_schemas (see Section 9.25). This is not quite the
same as examining the value of search_path, since current_schemas shows
how the items appearing in search_path were resolved."

Section 9.25:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.2/static/functions-info.html

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@gmail.com

Re: search_path for database vs user vs session

From
Moshe Jacobson
Date:
I'd like to know how to see the search_path setting attached to a particular user/role independent of the session.

Thanks.

--
Moshe Jacobson
Nead Werx, Inc. | Manager of Systems Engineering
2323 Cumberland Parkway, Suite 201 | Atlanta, GA 30339
moshe@neadwerx.com |
www.neadwerx.com

"Quality is not an act, it is a habit." -- Aristotle

Re: search_path for database vs user vs session

From
Moshe Jacobson
Date:
I'd like to know how to see the search_path setting attached to a particular user/role independent of the session.

Oh, and I'd also like to see the current setting of the database so I know what will happen if I clear the user setting.

--
Moshe Jacobson
Nead Werx, Inc. | Manager of Systems Engineering
2323 Cumberland Parkway, Suite 201 | Atlanta, GA 30339
moshe@neadwerx.com |
www.neadwerx.com

"Quality is not an act, it is a habit." -- Aristotle

Re: search_path for database vs user vs session

From
Joe Conway
Date:

Re: search_path for database vs user vs session

From
bricklen

Oh, and I'd also like to see the current setting of the database so I know what will happen if I clear the user setting.

I think you can find some of what you are looking for here:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.2/static/view-pg-settings.html

Re: search_path for database vs user vs session

From
Jov
Date:
you can use the psql  \drds command:

\drds [PATRN1 [PATRN2]] list per-database role settings

Oh, and I'd also like to see the current setting of the database so I know what will happen if I clear the user setting.

I think you can find some of what you are looking for here:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.2/static/view-pg-settings.html

Re: search_path for database vs user vs session

From
Moshe Jacobson

Perfect! Just what I was looking for. Thanks Jov, and thanks to Joe Conway as well for a different solution.

Moshe