Update

From
jpui
Date:
Hi,
I'm running a server using postgres 8.3 and i was adviced to update it...
what i have to do  in order to update it and don't stop the service? Also,
will clients running postgres 8.3 be able to comunicate with the server
running an updated version?
Thank you for your help

Re: Update

From
Frank Lanitz
Date:
Am 11.04.2013 10:29, schrieb jpui:
> Hi,
> I'm running a server using postgres 8.3 and i was adviced to update it...
> what i have to do  in order to update it and don't stop the service?

8.3 is out of support so you will need to at a very minimum 8.4. This
cannot be done without restarting. Please check for HowTo for upgrading
postgres.

Cheers,
Frank

Re: Update

From
Joshua Berry

Am 11.04.2013 10:29, schrieb jpui:
> Hi,
> I'm running a server using postgres 8.3 and i was adviced to update it...
> what i have to do  in order to update it and don't stop the service?

8.3 is out of support so you will need to at a very minimum 8.4. This
cannot be done without restarting. Please check for HowTo for upgrading
postgres.

As Frank has stated 8.3 is no longer supported.If you are upgrading anyway, you might as well upgrade to a version that still is supported. For upgrading from a major version (ie 8.3 to 8.4 or higher), you need to dump the database to a (large) file, upgrade postgres, then restore the database dump. These actions obviously do require that the database processes be stopped and started. Depending on your application and your schema, you may require no changes and everything will work. But it's probably worth testing this first on another machine to validate. the PG configuration file postgresql.conf is different from one major version to the next, so read the docs and tune carefully. Have a look at the release notes for helpful details. For example: http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.2/static/release-9-1.html

If have never used pg_dump or pg_dump_all to generate dumps, nor have restored them, you should read up on and be proficient at those tasks. http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.2/static/backup.html

Kind Regards,
-Joshua

Re: Update

From
Ian Lawrence Barwick
Date:
2013/4/11 Joshua Berry <yoberi@gmail.com>:

>> Am 11.04.2013 10:29, schrieb jpui:
>> > Hi,
>> > I'm running a server using postgres 8.3 and i was adviced to update
>> > it...
>> > what i have to do  in order to update it and don't stop the service?
>>
>> 8.3 is out of support so you will need to at a very minimum 8.4. This
>> cannot be done without restarting. Please check for HowTo for upgrading
>> postgres.
>

> As Frank has stated 8.3 is no longer supported.If you are upgrading anyway,
> you might as well upgrade to a version that still is supported. For
> upgrading from a major version (ie 8.3 to 8.4 or higher), you need to dump
> the database to a (large) file, upgrade postgres, then restore the database
> dump. These actions obviously do require that the database processes be
> stopped and started. Depending on your application and your schema, you may
> require no changes and everything will work. But it's probably worth testing
> this first on another machine to validate. the PG configuration file
> postgresql.conf is different from one major version to the next, so read the
> docs and tune carefully. Have a look at the release notes for helpful
> details. For example:
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.2/static/release-9-1.html
>
> If have never used pg_dump or pg_dump_all to generate dumps, nor have
> restored them, you should read up on and be proficient at those tasks.
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.2/static/backup.html

pg_upgrade can also be used when upgrading to a new server version.
Basically it converts the old version's data directory to the new
version's format.
You'll need to stop the database server while the upgrade is running, however
pg_upgrade is usually much faster than the dump/restore method.

See here for details:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.2/static/pgupgrade.html

There are some notes on limitations when upgrading from 8.3:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.2/static/pgupgrade.html#AEN147114

I suggest you practice upgrading on a test computer. Even if using pg_upgrade,
you should dump the original database using pg_dump beforehand as an
additional backup should things go wrong.

Regards

Ian Barwick

Re: Update

From
Shaun Thomas
Date:
On 04/11/2013 10:29 AM, Ian Lawrence Barwick wrote:

> There are some notes on limitations when upgrading from 8.3:
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.2/static/pgupgrade.html#AEN147114

I wrote this up a long time ago when pg_upgrade was still called
pg_migrator, and it specifically works around the problems in 8.3.

http://bonesmoses.org/2010/06/03/why-i-married-pg_migrator/

It worked way back then for the company I was working for at the time.
Could work again. :)

--
Shaun Thomas
312-676-8870

Re: Update

From
jpui
Date:
But is it possible that a client running postgres 8.3 to comuniccate with thw
server running postgres 8.4?
Thank you

Re: Update

From
Shaun Thomas
Date:
On 04/11/2013 09:39 AM, jpui wrote:

> But is it possible that a client running postgres 8.3 to comuniccate
> with thw server running postgres 8.4?

Yes. Aside from some system view changes that may break slash-commands
in psql, the libraries should be all backwards compatible with old clients.

You should still upgrade those, of course, but it shouldn't cause problems.

--
Shaun Thomas
312-676-8870

Re: Update

From
Adrian Klaver
Date:
On 04/11/2013 07:39 AM, jpui wrote:
> But is it possible that a client running postgres 8.3 to comuniccate with thw
> server running postgres 8.4?

They should, but it would be best to verify against a test instance of
whatever version you choose. FYI, 8.4 end of life is July 2014, might be
better while making the jump to go to an even newer version. For the end
of life's of the current supported versions see:

http://www.postgresql.org/support/versioning/