Testing Technique when using a DB

From
Perry Smith
Date:
I tried posting this from Google Groups but I did not see it come through after an hour so this may be a duplicate
messagefor some.

The current testing technique for things like Ruby On Rails has three choices but all of the choices will not work in
mycase.

The first choice is "truncate" which starts a transaction before each test.  If the testing is within the same process,
thisworks and a roll back restores the DB.  But if the testing involves two processes, then the test data entered by
thetest rig can not be seen by the "system under test" (SUT).  With Rails, there are times when this is needed.  The
testrig drives a browser which calls into a Rails application.  There are "dangerous" ways to still use this method but
eachhas various down falls or risks.

The other two choices are delete and truncate which both end up with an empty database just after each test.  This
preventsany test data that is already in the database from being used after the first test.  Note that a "test run"
willrun through a sequence of tests (usually quite a few).

All of these are fairly fast with each one being "faster" under different conditions (according to users).

Generally, this pushes the Rails community to have either "fixtures" or "factories".  Both are ok solutions but both
alsohave problems.  In my case, I have a dozen or so tables all with very tight constraints and creating either
fixturesor factories is very troublesome.  Also, I have a real database with real data in production and it seems
foolishnot to take advantage of the knowledge contained within that database.  By "knowledge" I mean the particular
valuesand weirdness within the data that a factory or a fixture might not realize.

One choice would be to create the database, use it, and then drop it for each test.  I would create the database from a
templatethat already has data taken from the production database (and probably trimmed down to a small subset of it).
Thisrequires some crafty dancing in the Rails set up since it likes to just attach to a database and run but it could
bedone.  From first blush, this sounds like it would be really slow but may be not.

The other choice would be to somehow copy the data to temporary tables before the test run and then copy it back.  The
advantageto this is it is not very PostgreSQL specific.  Indeed, if the template database is already set up, then only
onecopy would be needed at the start of the test.

The other thought I had is if there is some type of "leaky" transaction.  A transaction where another process can see
thedata but the roll back would still work and be effective.  Essentially I'm asking if all the protections a database
offerscould be dropped... but I thought I'd see if that was possible.

The other thought is perhaps there is a "snap shot" type concept.  I don't see it in the list of SQL commands.  A "snap
shot"would do exactly what it sounds like.  It would take a snap shot and save it somehow.  Then a "restore to snap
shot"would restore the DB back to that state.

I thought this group might suggest other ideas and either nuke the really bad ideas or promote the plausible ideas I've
mentionedabove.

Sorry for the long post.  I appreciate your thoughts.

Perry

Re: Testing Technique when using a DB

From
Steve Crawford
Date:
On 03/12/2013 08:41 AM, Perry Smith wrote:

> One choice would be to create the database, use it, and then drop it for each test.  I would create the database from
atemplate that already has data taken from the production database (and probably trimmed down to a small subset of it).
This requires some crafty dancing in the Rails set up since it likes to just attach to a database and run but it could
bedone.  From first blush, this sounds like it would be really slow but may be not.

It depends on your environment (i.e. do you have isolated dev, test and
production or are you testing your code on production machines) and the
nature of your tests (functionality and bugs only or load and performance).

The speed of CREATE DATABASE foo TEMPLATE bar; depends, of course on the
size of your template but I've found it to be fast enough for test
databases (a few hundred MB takes well under a minute on an old
desktop). Try it and see.

> The other thought is perhaps there is a "snap shot" type concept.  I don't see it in the list of SQL commands.  A
"snapshot" would do exactly what it sounds like.  It would take a snap shot and save it somehow.  Then a "restore to
snapshot" would restore the DB back to that state.
I may be missing something here but pg_dump/pg_restore do exactly that.
Or you could get more complicated and use point-in-time recovery,
external tools like pg_barman or even, perhaps, a file-level snapshot of
the database files (when the PostgreSQL is shut down, of course) to
handle your base test starting point.

Of all the options mentioned my first inclination would be to create
your test db from a known template prior to each test run.

Cheers,
Steve

Re: Testing Technique when using a DB

From
Steve Atkins
Date:
On Mar 12, 2013, at 8:41 AM, Perry Smith <pedzsan@gmail.com> wrote:

> One choice would be to create the database, use it, and then drop it for each test.  I would create the database from
atemplate that already has data taken from the production database (and probably trimmed down to a small subset of it).
This requires some crafty dancing in the Rails set up since it likes to just attach to a database and run but it could
bedone.  From first blush, this sounds like it would be really slow but may be not.

I do this. It's not blindingly fast, but plenty fast enough for automated testing as long as your tests aren't too
fine-grainedand your test database isn't too big. It takes no more than two or three seconds on my (slow, IO-starved)
QAVMs.

By parameterizing the database name you can parallelize tests - each test creates it's own copy of the template
database,runs whatever it needs to run, then drops the database. That lets you hide a lot of the setup/teardown
latency.

> The other choice would be to somehow copy the data to temporary tables before the test run and then copy it back.
Theadvantage to this is it is not very PostgreSQL specific.  Indeed, if the template database is already set up, then
onlyone copy would be needed at the start of the test.

You'd also need to undo any other state that was changed. Sequences, for instance, if they can affect the meaning of
yourtest or expected results in any way.

> The other thought I had is if there is some type of "leaky" transaction.  A transaction where another process can see
thedata but the roll back would still work and be effective.  Essentially I'm asking if all the protections a database
offerscould be dropped... but I thought I'd see if that was possible.

That - or anything else involving rolling back transactions - would only work if you were testing an app that didn't
usetransactions.

> The other thought is perhaps there is a "snap shot" type concept.  I don't see it in the list of SQL commands.  A
"snapshot" would do exactly what it sounds like.  It would take a snap shot and save it somehow.  Then a "restore to
snapshot" would restore the DB back to that state.

That's pretty much what creating a database from a template does, other than the need to have everybody disconnect from
thedatabase before doing the drop+create.

Dump / restore will do that too - somewhat slower, but doesn't require disconnecting from the DB.

File-system level snapshots are another option, but I'm pretty sure you'd need to shut down and restart the database
server,which'd cost far more than you'd save.

Cheers,
  Steve

Re: Testing Technique when using a DB

From
Joe Van Dyk
Date:
On Mar 12, 2013, at 8:42 AM, Perry Smith <pedzsan@gmail.com> wrote:

I tried posting this from Google Groups but I did not see it come through
after an hour so this may be a duplicate message for some.

The current testing technique for things like Ruby On Rails has three
choices but all of the choices will not work in my case.

The first choice is "truncate" which starts a transaction before each test.

I think you mean "transactional tests" here, not "truncate". While the test
database is truncated once at the start of all the tests, each test runs
inside its own transaction which will never be committed.

 If the testing is within the same process, this works and a roll back
restores the DB.  But if the testing involves two processes, then the test
data entered by the test rig can not be seen by the "system under test"
(SUT).  With Rails, there are times when this is needed.  The test rig
drives a browser which calls into a Rails application.  There are
"dangerous" ways to still use this method but each has various down falls
or risks.

IMO, you don't want to use transactional tests. When you do, ActiveRecord
will use savepoints to mimic transactions. This means now() will never
change during the tests, deferred constraints/triggers won't work, other
processes can't see the data, etc.  The system is behaving differently in
the test environment than in the real one, which is bad.

If you are treating the database as a really dumb store of data, then you
may want to use transactional tests. But be aware of the caveats.

[...]

 From first blush, this sounds like it would be really slow but may be not.

[...]

This would be super super super awesome, but it doesn't exist as far as I
know. This would be a "permanent snapshot" that could be easily and quickly
restored.

I wonder if it would be possible to make an extension that made this easy
to do.

I thought this group might suggest other ideas and either nuke the really
bad ideas or promote the plausible ideas I've mentioned above.

Make sure to look at database_cleaner if you haven't yet. Also this may be
interesting: https://github.com/bmabey/database_cleaner/issues/80

Personally, I use database_cleaner's delete method, plus I load a SQL file
at the beginning of each test.

Sorry for the long post.  I appreciate your thoughts.

Perry

Re: Testing Technique when using a DB

From
Perry Smith
Date:
To all who replied:

Thank you.  I did typo.  I meant "transaction" instead of truncate.

I had not seriously considered pg_dump / pg_restore because I assumed it would be fairly slow but I will experiment with pg_restore and template techniques this weekend and see which ones prove viable.

I know about and use database cleaner and intend on offering it to them.  I posted a comment on the bug report provided.

The other advantage to the pg_restore or loading an SQL file is you can have various files for different tests.

On Mar 12, 2013, at 10:09 PM, Joe Van Dyk wrote:

[...]

Steven Schlansker
Date:
On Mar 12, 2013, at 8:09 PM, Joe Van Dyk <joe@tanga.com> wrote:

> On Mar 12, 2013, at 8:42 AM, Perry Smith <pedzsan@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> The other thought is perhaps there is a "snap shot" type concept.  I don't see it in the list of SQL commands.  A
"snapshot" would do exactly what it sounds like.  It would take a snap shot and save it somehow.  Then a "restore to
snapshot" would restore the DB back to that state.

> This would be super super super awesome, but it doesn't exist as far as I know. This would be a "permanent snapshot"
thatcould be easily and quickly restored.

> I wonder if it would be possible to make an extension that made this easy to do.

For what it's worth, I have something very similar to that to write JUnit tests in Java.
While that might not be much help to the original poster's Ruby environment, the code is
available as open source for anyone who thinks this is an interesting idea.

https://github.com/NessComputing/components-ness-pg

We got tired of maintaining a Postgres instance on every development box and trying to make sure they had reasonably
closeversions, so I hacked this together.

It's fairly specific to the infrastructure we use but if there is any interest I could spruce it up a bit, write some
documentation,and make it more stand-alone.

Short description:

* Drop your SQL files in the class path somewhere (src/test/resources for Maven folk)
* Provides an embedded PostgreSQL instance that you can spin up and down on demand -- builds via shell script, auto
detectsplatform
* The SQL files are loaded into a Postgres template database, and then cloning the databases can be done relatively
cheaplyand quickly.
* A fresh database is prepared in a thread in the background so one is always immediately available to test cases
* Provides a handy JUnit @Rule so you can mix it in to test cases easily

Date:

Date:
On 03/12/2013 09:05 PM, Perry Smith wrote:
> To all who replied:
>
> Thank you. ...
>
> I had not seriously considered pg_dump / pg_restore because I assumed
> it would be fairly slow but I will experiment with pg_restore and
> template techniques this weekend and see which ones prove viable.

Another possibility a bit outside my area of expertise but what about a
VM image configured to your needs that you just spin up as needed then
discard when done (i.e. always spinning up the same starting image)?

Cheers,
Steve

Date:
On Wed, Mar 13, 2013 at 8:47 AM, Steve Crawford <scrawford@pinpointresearch.com> wrote:
On 03/12/2013 09:05 PM, Perry Smith wrote:
To all who replied:

Thank you. ...

I had not seriously considered pg_dump / pg_restore because I assumed it would be fairly slow but I will experiment with pg_restore and template techniques this weekend and see which ones prove viable.

Another possibility a bit outside my area of expertise but what about a VM image configured to your needs that you just spin up as needed then discard when done (i.e. always spinning up the same starting image)?

I'd guess the OP is running hundreds of tests, where the data needs to be reverted/reset after each test, and each individual test might run in, say, 0.1 seconds. This is a really common technique when testing web apps. I don't think you'd want to start a VM for each of these tests, especially when the tests are small and specific.

Re: Testing Technique when using a DB

From
Jasen Betts
Date:
On 2013-03-13, Joe Van Dyk <joe@tanga.com> wrote:
> --047d7b6226a405604904d7d09001
>
> On Wed, Mar 13, 2013 at 8:47 AM, Steve Crawford <
> scrawford@pinpointresearch.com> wrote:
>
>> On 03/12/2013 09:05 PM, Perry Smith wrote:
>>
>>> To all who replied:
>>>
>>> Thank you. ...
>>>

>>> I had not seriously considered pg_dump / pg_restore because I assumed it
>>> would be fairly slow but I will experiment with pg_restore and template
>>> techniques this weekend and see which ones prove viable.
>>>

>> Another possibility a bit outside my area of expertise but what about a VM
>> image configured to your needs that you just spin up as needed then discard
>> when done (i.e. always spinning up the same starting image)?
>>

> I'd guess the OP is running hundreds of tests, where the data needs to be
> reverted/reset after each test, and each individual test might run in, say,
> 0.1 seconds. This is a really common technique when testing web apps. I
> don't think you'd want to start a VM for each of these tests, especially
> when the tests are small and specific.

A vm rewinds to a snapshot in a few seconds this will likely be faster than
any other way* if the database is large.

*except possibly a similar trick using ZFS snapshots may be faster.

--
⚂⚃ 100% natural