seeking SQL book recommendation

From
Scott Ribe
Date:
For a client who needs to learn how to query the db:

- No SQL knowledge at all; needs to start from square 1.

- Smart, capable person, who will be in this position for a long time, using this db for a long time.

- No chance in hell this db will be moved off PG, so PG-centric is fine ;-)

--
Scott Ribe
scott_ribe@elevated-dev.com

Re: seeking SQL book recommendation

From
Thomas Kellerer
Date:
Scott Ribe wrote on 23.01.2013 23:56:
> For a client who needs to learn how to query the db:
>
> - No SQL knowledge at all; needs to start from square 1.
>
> - Smart, capable person, who will be in this position for a long time, using this db for a long time.
>
> - No chance in hell this db will be moved off PG, so PG-centric is fine ;-)

Not a book, but I like http://sqlzoo.net/

You can switch between different DBMS - including PostgreSQL - when doing the exercises

Re: seeking SQL book recommendation

From
John R Pierce
Date:
On 1/23/2013 2:56 PM, Scott Ribe wrote:
> For a client who needs to learn how to query the db:
>
> - No SQL knowledge at all; needs to start from square 1.
>
> - Smart, capable person, who will be in this position for a long time, using this db for a long time.
>
> - No chance in hell this db will be moved off PG, so PG-centric is fine

I can't recommend any specific book as I've not read any of them (and
been doing SQL too long).  But what I *can* recommend is creating a 'sql
cookbook', maybe on an internal wiki or blog,  with a bunch of sample
queries specific to YOUR database schema that solve the sorts of
problems your user base including this client are likely to come up
against.   start with the simplest things and move up to more complex.
have a paragraph or two explaining each query, and example output.

Date:
John R Pierce wrote on 24.01.2013 00:19:
>> - No SQL knowledge at all; needs to start from square 1.
>>
>> - Smart, capable person, who will be in this position for a long
>> time, using this db for a long time.
>>
>> - No chance in hell this db will be moved off PG, so PG-centric is
>> fine
>

> I can't recommend any specific book as I've not read any of them (and
> been doing SQL too long).  But what I *can* recommend is creating a
> 'sql cookbook', maybe on an internal wiki or blog,  with a bunch of
> sample queries specific to YOUR database schema that solve the sorts
> of problems your user base including this client are likely to come
> up against.   start with the simplest things and move up to more
> complex. have a paragraph or two explaining each query, and example
> output.

Speaking of "cookbook": The DB2 SQL Cookbook is quite nice actually.

http://mysite.verizon.net/graeme_birchall/id1.html

Even though it's for DB2 most of it (except e.g. the XQuery stuff) can be used for PostgreSQL as well.

Thomas

Re: seeking SQL book recommendation

From
Rob Sargent
Date:
On 01/23/2013 04:19 PM, John R Pierce wrote:
> On 1/23/2013 2:56 PM, Scott Ribe wrote:
>> For a client who needs to learn how to query the db:
>>
>> - No SQL knowledge at all; needs to start from square 1.
>>
>> - Smart, capable person, who will be in this position for a long time,
>> using this db for a long time.
>>
>> - No chance in hell this db will be moved off PG, so PG-centric is fine
>

> I can't recommend any specific book as I've not read any of them (and
> been doing SQL too long).  But what I *can* recommend is creating a 'sql
> cookbook', maybe on an internal wiki or blog,  with a bunch of sample
> queries specific to YOUR database schema that solve the sorts of
> problems your user base including this client are likely to come up
> against.   start with the simplest things and move up to more complex.
> have a paragraph or two explaining each query, and example output.

I recommend the company find the cash and time to have this person go to
an SQL class.  These have proven very helpful when in-house training
would put a large dent in an sql-savvy person's productivity.

Re: seeking SQL book recommendation

From
Bruno Wolff III
Date:
On Wed, Jan 23, 2013 at 15:56:10 -0700,
   Scott Ribe <scott_ribe@elevated-dev.com> wrote:
>For a client who needs to learn how to query the db:
>
>- No SQL knowledge at all; needs to start from square 1.
>
>- Smart, capable person, who will be in this position for a long time, using this db for a long time.
>
>- No chance in hell this db will be moved off PG, so PG-centric is fine ;-)

I found the postgresql documentation very useful for learning SQL.

Re: seeking SQL book recommendation

From
Scott Marlowe
Date:
On Wed, Jan 23, 2013 at 3:56 PM, Scott Ribe <scott_ribe@elevated-dev.com> wrote:
> For a client who needs to learn how to query the db:
>
> - No SQL knowledge at all; needs to start from square 1.
>
> - Smart, capable person, who will be in this position for a long time, using this db for a long time.
>
> - No chance in hell this db will be moved off PG, so PG-centric is fine ;-)

OReilley's Learning SQL and SQL Cookbook are good places to start.

After he has his footing, SQL Antipatterns, The Art of SQL,and SQL for
Smarties are all good choices.

Re: seeking SQL book recommendation

From
James Cowell
Date:
I can recommend "SQL Queries for Mere Mortals: A Hands-on Guide to Data Manipulation in SQL" as a good general SQL book.

Date:

Date:
On Wed, Jan 23, 2013 at 3:56 PM, Scott Ribe <scott_ribe@elevated-dev.com> wrote:
> For a client who needs to learn how to query the db:
>
> - No SQL knowledge at all; needs to start from square 1.
>
> - Smart, capable person, who will be in this position for a long time, using this db for a long time.
>
> - No chance in hell this db will be moved off PG, so PG-centric is fine ;-)

OReilley's Learning SQL and SQL Cookbook are good places to start.

After he has his footing, SQL Antipatterns, The Art of SQL,and SQL for
Smarties are all good choices.

Re: seeking SQL book recommendation

From
Rich Shepard
Date:
On Thu, 24 Jan 2013, Bruno Wolff III wrote:

>> For a client who needs to learn how to query the db:

> I found the postgresql documentation very useful for learning SQL.

   Two more suggestions: Rick van der Lans' 'Introduction to SQL, 4th
Edition' for its comprehensiveness and extensive discussion on temporal
queries. And, Joe Celko's 'SQL for Smarties' at whichever edition is current
to learn some of the non-syntactical aspects that effect database
development and use.

Rich