Recommendations on plpgsql debugger?

From
Chris Travers
Date:
Hi all;

I have a client who needs a way to step through a PL/PGSQL function and ideally see what one is doing at present.  I noticed that there used to be an EDB Debugger module for this purpose but I can't seem to find one for 9.1 and I can't seem to pull from csv to try.

Any alternatives? Am I missing something?

Best Wishes,
Chris Travers

Re: Recommendations on plpgsql debugger?

From
Albe Laurenz
Date:
Chris Travers wrote:
> I have a client who needs a way to step through a PL/PGSQL function and ideally see what one is doing
> at present.  I noticed that there used to be an EDB Debugger module for this purpose but I can't seem
> to find one for 9.1 and I can't seem to pull from csv to try.
>
> Any alternatives? Am I missing something?

Did you look in http://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=pldebugger.git  ?

Yours,
Laurenz Albe

Re: Recommendations on plpgsql debugger?

From
"Gauthier, Dave"

One thing I've done in the past is to create a temporary table and insert "raise notice" debug statements to it, incrementing a sequence as it went along.  Then just select the message with order by the seq.  Useful in the recursive calls I was testing at the time.  But it did require that I stick a bunch of "raise notice" statements and reload the procedure(s).

But ya, a real debugger sould be great.

I have a client who needs a way to step through a PL/PGSQL function and ideally see what one is doing at present.  I noticed that there used to be an EDB Debugger module for this purpose but I can't seem to find one for 9.1 and I can't seem to pull from csv to try.

Any alternatives? Am I missing something?

Best Wishes,

Chris Travers

Re: Recommendations on plpgsql debugger?

From
Glyn Astill
>I have a client who needs a way to step through a PL/PGSQL function and ideally see what one is doing at present.  I
noticedthat there used to be an EDB Debugger module for this purpose but I can't seem to find one for 9.1 and I can't
seemto pull from csv to try.

>Any alternatives? Am I missing something?

Yeah, the cvs repository appears to have been replaced with git instead, try doing a git clone from:

git://git.postgresql.org/git/pldebugger.git

Glyn