Updateable VIEWS and the manual

From
Thomas Kellerer
Date:
Hi,

I just noticed the following statement in the CREATE VIEW documentation (9.2 and 9.1):

     Currently, views are read only: the system will not allow an insert,
     update, or delete on a view. You can get the effect of an updatable view by
     creating rules that rewrite inserts, etc. on the view into appropriate actions
     on other tables. For more information see CREATE RULE.

Wouldn't it make more sense to refer to INSTEAD OF triggers?

My understanding was that an INSTEAD OF trigger was preferred over a rule nowadays.

Regards
Thomas

Re: Updateable VIEWS and the manual

From
Merlin Moncure
Date:
On Wed, Nov 28, 2012 at 4:43 PM, Thomas Kellerer <spam_eater@gmx.net> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just noticed the following statement in the CREATE VIEW documentation (9.2
> and 9.1):
>
>     Currently, views are read only: the system will not allow an insert,
>     update, or delete on a view. You can get the effect of an updatable view
> by
>     creating rules that rewrite inserts, etc. on the view into appropriate
> actions
>     on other tables. For more information see CREATE RULE.
>
> Wouldn't it make more sense to refer to INSTEAD OF triggers?
>
> My understanding was that an INSTEAD OF trigger was preferred over a rule
> nowadays.

yup.

merlin

Re: Updateable VIEWS and the manual

Date:
Thomas Kellerer <spam_eater@gmx.net> writes:
> I just noticed the following statement in the CREATE VIEW documentation (9.2 and 9.1):

>      Currently, views are read only: the system will not allow an insert,
>      update, or delete on a view. You can get the effect of an updatable view by
>      creating rules that rewrite inserts, etc. on the view into appropriate actions
>      on other tables. For more information see CREATE RULE.

> Wouldn't it make more sense to refer to INSTEAD OF triggers?

Done, thanks for pointing it out.

            regards, tom lane