ERROR: volatile EquivalenceClass has no sortref

From
Ranjeet Dhumal
Date:
Hi All ,

When am trying to query a table temp_table1(sms_type varchar(20),sms_info varchar(100),sms_id integer)
Query :: select sms_type,count(*) from  temp_table1 group by 1 order by 2 desc;
Then i got following errors , i dont know whats wrong in this .
ERROR: volatile EquivalenceClass has no sortref

This is my first post to forum , Please suggest me if i miss something .

--
--Regards
  Ranjeet  R. Dhumal

Re: ERROR: volatile EquivalenceClass has no sortref

From
"Albe Laurenz"
Date:
Ranjeet Dhumal wrote:
> When am trying to query a table temp_table1(sms_type
varchar(20),sms_info varchar(100),sms_id integer)
> Query :: select sms_type,count(*) from  temp_table1 group by 1 order
by 2 desc;
> Then i got following errors , i dont know whats wrong in this .
> ERROR: volatile EquivalenceClass has no sortref
>
> This is my first post to forum , Please suggest me if i miss something
.

Do you get this error regardless of what is
in the table?  I tried on 9.2 with an empty table
and with one with a few random values and got no
error.

It would be helpful to know which PostgreSQL version
you have.
Can you construct a reproducible test case?

Yours,
Laurenz Albe

Re: ERROR: volatile EquivalenceClass has no sortref

From
Ranjeet Dhumal
Date:
Hi Laurenz ,

I got this error on two different tables , first one is empty and second one has near about 60k records , am using 9.0.1 version of postgres.
And when i dropped that both table and recreated with same data and structure  query ran successfully , am not able to understand how this is happening suddenly because for same table and everything  is working fine  without error .

Date:
Ranjeet Dhumal wrote:
> I got this error on two different tables , first one is empty and
second one has near about 60k
> records , am using 9.0.1 version of postgres.
> And when i dropped that both table and recreated with same data and
structure  query ran successfully
> , am not able to understand how this is happening suddenly because for
same table and everything  is
> working fine  without error .

Try to find out under what condition the problem occurs.
A reproducible test case would be most helpful.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe

Re: ERROR: volatile EquivalenceClass has no sortref

From
Alban Hertroys
Date:
> Ranjeet Dhumal wrote:
>> records , am using 9.0.1 version of postgres.

This is quite possibly your problem: You're 9 bugfix releases behind
on a .0 release. You should be at 9.0.10 at least.

Re: ERROR: volatile EquivalenceClass has no sortref

Date:
Alban Hertroys <haramrae@gmail.com> writes:
>> Ranjeet Dhumal wrote:
> records , am using 9.0.1 version of postgres.

> This is quite possibly your problem: You're 9 bugfix releases behind
> on a .0 release. You should be at 9.0.10 at least.

Yes.  I seem to recall fixing a bug with exactly this symptom.
Please update first, then if the problem is still there you can work
on producing a self-contained test case.

            regards, tom lane

Re: ERROR: volatile EquivalenceClass has no sortref

From
Ranjeet Dhumal
Date:
Hi Tom ,

Sorry but i didn't understand that If this is a bug from  postgres version then how the same query will be worked if i recreated the tables and with same version of postgres.

On 21 November 2012 19:53, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
Alban Hertroys <haramrae@gmail.com> writes:
>> Ranjeet Dhumal wrote:
> records , am using 9.0.1 version of postgres.

> This is quite possibly your problem: You're 9 bugfix releases behind
> on a .0 release. You should be at 9.0.10 at least.

Yes.  I seem to recall fixing a bug with exactly this symptom.
Please update first, then if the problem is still there you can work
on producing a self-contained test case.

--Regards
  Ranjeet  R. Dhumal

Re: ERROR: volatile EquivalenceClass has no sortref

From
Pavan Deolasee

On Thu, Nov 22, 2012 at 11:08 AM, Ranjeet Dhumal <jeetu.dhumal@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Tom ,

Sorry but i didn't understand that If this is a bug from  postgres version then how the same query will be worked if i recreated the tables and with same version of postgres.

This could be related to the plans that are chosen by the optimizer and this specific error might be coming only when a certain plan is chosen. When you recreated the table, the planner may have chosen a different plan because the stats were different, and hence you did not see the issue again. If you can reproduce the problem, it will be a good idea to run EXPLAIN to see the query plan.

Thanks,
Pavan