pg_upgrade default ports in the --help output

From
Виктор Егоров
Date:
Greetings.

I just noticed the following default ports in the pg_upgrade --help:
  -p, --old-port=OLDPORT        old cluster port number (default 50432)
  -P, --new-port=NEWPORT        new cluster port number (default 50432)

Why is this different from:
  --with-pgport=PORTNUM   set default port number [5432]

--
Victor Y. Yegorov

Re: pg_upgrade default ports in the --help output

From
Adrian Klaver
Date:
On 10/04/2012 12:29 AM, Виктор Егоров wrote:
> Greetings.
>
> I just noticed the following default ports in the pg_upgrade --help:
>    -p, --old-port=OLDPORT        old cluster port number (default 50432)
>    -P, --new-port=NEWPORT        new cluster port number (default 50432)

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.2/static/pgupgrade.html
"Obviously, no one should be accessing the clusters during the upgrade.
pg_upgrade defaults to running servers on port 50432 to avoid unintended
client connections. You can use the same port number for both clusters
when doing an upgrade because the old and new clusters will not be
running at the same time. However, when checking an old running server,
the old and new port numbers must be different."

> Why is this different from:
>    --with-pgport=PORTNUM   set default port number [5432]

Where is this coming from?

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@gmail.com

Date:
2012/10/4 Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@gmail.com>:
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.2/static/pgupgrade.html
> "Obviously, no one should be accessing the clusters during the upgrade.
> pg_upgrade defaults to running servers on port 50432 to avoid unintended
> client connections. You can use the same port number for both clusters when
> doing an upgrade because the old and new clusters will not be running at the
> same time. However, when checking an old running server, the old and new
> port numbers must be different."

Should have checked the docs first, sorry for the noise.

>> Why is this different from:
>>    --with-pgport=PORTNUM   set default port number [5432]
>
> Where is this coming from?

./configure --help

--

Date:
On Thu, Oct  4, 2012 at 04:50:09PM +0300, Виктор Егоров wrote:
> 2012/10/4 Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@gmail.com>:
> > http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.2/static/pgupgrade.html
> > "Obviously, no one should be accessing the clusters during the upgrade.
> > pg_upgrade defaults to running servers on port 50432 to avoid unintended
> > client connections. You can use the same port number for both clusters when
> > doing an upgrade because the old and new clusters will not be running at the
> > same time. However, when checking an old running server, the old and new
> > port numbers must be different."
>
> Should have checked the docs first, sorry for the noise.
>
> >> Why is this different from:
> >>    --with-pgport=PORTNUM   set default port number [5432]
> >
> > Where is this coming from?
>
> ./configure --help

Ah, OK.  The configure output to configure the default port number used
by the server and libpq clients.  These are compile-time flags, while
the pg_upgrade flags are run-time, meaning when you run the binary, not
when you compile it.