Question about ip4r contrib and PostgreSQL 9.2

From
Maxim Boguk
Date:
Hi,

One of my project extensively uses ip4r addon ( http://pgfoundry.org/projects/ip4r/ ).

However, after migration of test environment to 9.2 that addon doesn't install anymore without manual fixes.
Trouble very simple:
addon use the LANGUAGE 'C' IMMUTABLE STRICT;  syntax
and now language names in PostgreSQL become case-sensitive.

So need replace all these strings with  LANGUAGE 'c' IMMUTABLE STRICT;

However, I have a question.
With addition of the range types in 9.2 could be the same functionality replaced with some custom build range type over cidr type or no?
I especially interested in gist index support for ip ranges.
Or it still better use the ip4r add on for such cases?

--
Maxim Boguk
Senior Postgresql DBA

Phone RU: +7 910 405 4718
Phone AU: +61 45 218 5678

Skype: maxim.boguk
Jabber: maxim.boguk@gmail.com
МойКруг: http://mboguk.moikrug.ru/

"People problems are solved with people.
If people cannot solve the problem, try technology.
People will then wish they'd listened at the first stage."

Re: Question about ip4r contrib and PostgreSQL 9.2

From
Merlin Moncure
Date:
On Thu, Sep 27, 2012 at 7:49 PM, Maxim Boguk <maxim.boguk@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> One of my project extensively uses ip4r addon (
> http://pgfoundry.org/projects/ip4r/ ).
>
> However, after migration of test environment to 9.2 that addon doesn't
> install anymore without manual fixes.
> Trouble very simple:
> addon use the LANGUAGE 'C' IMMUTABLE STRICT;  syntax
> and now language names in PostgreSQL become case-sensitive.
>
> So need replace all these strings with  LANGUAGE 'c' IMMUTABLE STRICT;

I just got burned by this.  In my case, the pl/r extension failed to
load on 9.2. This is a pretty significant compatibility break IMO.
Why?

merlin