order of checking the unique constraints

From
"Sahagian, David"
Date:
Using 9.1

Can somebody tell me the order in which the Unique Constraints of a table are checked, like when an INSERT is done ?

It seems the the Primary is checked first, but what about the regular UCs ?

Thanks,
-dvs-

Re: order of checking the unique constraints

From
"Marc Mamin"

Hello,

I had a similar question some time ago, with an answer by Tom lane:

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-general/2012-03/msg00023.php

best regards,

Marc Mamin

Can somebody tell me the order in which the Unique Constraints of a table are checked, like when an INSERT is done ?

It seems the the Primary is checked first, but what about the regular UCs ?

Thanks,

-dvs-

Re: order of checking the unique constraints

From
Sergey Konoplev
Date:
>> Can somebody tell me the order in which the Unique Constraints of a table
>> are checked, like when an INSERT is done ?
>
> I had a similar question some time ago, with an answer by Tom lane:
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-general/2012-03/msg00023.php

You might also find interesting that this behavior can be controlled
by specifying DEFERRABLE/IMEDIATE properties on your UCs and by using
SET CONSTRAINTS dirrective.

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.1/interactive/sql-set-constraints.html

--
Sergey Konoplev