importing updated files into a database

From
fashouri
Date:
I have files that are updated every 2 hours. I have to detect the files
automatically and insert the information from them into a database. The
files are simple text files and I know which part of them is useful for me.
Our DBMS is Postgresql and programming language is python. what is your
suggestion to do that? I want to make use of DAL (Database Abstraction
Layer) or psycopg to make connection between the files and database and use
postgresql LISTEN/NOTIFY techniques to detect the new files. if you agree
with me please tell me how I can use LISTEN/NOTIFY functions to detect the
files. Thank you

Re: importing updated files into a database

From
Craig Ringer
Date:
I have files that are updated every 2 hours. I have to detect the files
automatically and insert the information from them into a database. The
files are simple text files and I know which part of them is useful for me.
Our DBMS is Postgresql and programming language is python. what is your
suggestion to do that? I want to make use of DAL (Database Abstraction
Layer) or psycopg to make connection between the files and database and use
postgresql LISTEN/NOTIFY techniques to detect the new files. if you agree
with me please tell me how I can use LISTEN/NOTIFY functions to detect the
files. Thank you

This is a re-post of a Stack Overflow question:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/12026090/importing-updated-files-into-a-database

Fashouri, please try to link back to an SO question if you're re-posting it somewhere else. That way you don't waste everybody's time repeating what's already been said somewhere else and they can get onto new ideas. Linking to the question also helps anybody who discovers your post in a search later to find more information.

--
Craig Ringer