Migrating Postgresql 8.0 to 8.3

From
quickinfo
Date:
Hello Friends,

I would like to migrate postgresql 8.0 to 8.3. Please suggest me the best way of restoring my backup.

In which format should I take the backup and how should I restore the data. Does it require to write any sql script. will it create any problems in migrating 8.0 to 8.3.

Looking forward to hearing from you soon,

Best Regards,

Krishna

Re: Migrating Postgresql 8.0 to 8.3

From
"Albe Laurenz"
quickinfo wrote:
> I would like to migrate postgresql 8.0 to 8.3. Please suggest me the
best way of restoring my backup.

> In which format should I take the backup and how should I restore the
data. Does it require to write
> any sql script. will it create any problems in migrating 8.0 to 8.3.

Follow there directions:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/static/install-upgrading.html

There is one behaviour change in 8.3 that caused problems for many
people:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/static/release-8-3.html#AEN87860
Read the first point.

If that is a problem for you, read this:
http://petereisentraut.blogspot.co.at/2008/03/readding-implicit-casts-in
-postgresql.html

You should definitely upgrade to 9.1 and not to 8.3

Yours,
Laurenz Albe

Re: Migrating Postgresql 8.0 to 8.3

From