Pgadmin3 v1.14.2 foreign keys

From
"Mary F. Masterson"
Date:
I searched the archives and didn't find the answer as to how to add
foreign keys to a table using pgadminIII v1.14.2.  I am very familiar with
relational databases and foreign keys, indices, etc., but I am a newbie to
postgresql. For instance, say I have two tables, "address" and
"addresstype", both within the same schema.  The column named "type" in
the "address" table is the foreign key to the "addresstype" table, the
primary key of which is named "addresstype_id".  I created those columns
and added the primary key constraints without any difficulty.  I tried
adding the foreign key constraint, by right-clicking the "constraints"
object for the "address" table in the object browser window and selecting
"add foreign key".  I cannot figure out the next steps.  Any help, please?
 Thank you.

Re: Pgadmin3 v1.14.2 foreign keys

From
Adrian Klaver
Date:
On 08/04/2012 01:10 PM, Mary F. Masterson wrote:
> I searched the archives and didn't find the answer as to how to add
> foreign keys to a table using pgadminIII v1.14.2.  I am very familiar with
> relational databases and foreign keys, indices, etc., but I am a newbie to
> postgresql. For instance, say I have two tables, "address" and
> "addresstype", both within the same schema.  The column named "type" in
> the "address" table is the foreign key to the "addresstype" table, the
> primary key of which is named "addresstype_id".  I created those columns
> and added the primary key constraints without any difficulty.  I tried
> adding the foreign key constraint, by right-clicking the "constraints"
> object for the "address" table in the object browser window and selecting
> "add foreign key".  I cannot figure out the next steps.  Any help, please?
>   Thank you.

Walk through the tabs.
1) Properties
    Enter name
2) Definition
    Select table to reference.
    Also what type of MATCH and other properties
3) Columns
    Select parent/child columns
4) Action
    Type of action for UPDATE/DELETE