Pg 9.1: Do I need to run vacuum analyze instead vacuum full?

From
Edson Richter
Date:
I know PostgreSQL from time to time runs automatically the vacuum process.
My applications grows due lots of data import during the day (about
100Mb/day).
Do I need also to schedule a Vacuum Analyze to happens from time to time?

Edson

Re: Pg 9.1: Do I need to run vacuum analyze instead vacuum full?

From
François Beausoleil
Date:
Le 2012-07-24 à 16:36, Edson Richter a écrit :

> I know PostgreSQL from time to time runs automatically the vacuum process.
> My applications grows due lots of data import during the day (about 100Mb/day).
> Do I need also to schedule a Vacuum Analyze to happens from time to time?

I already asked that question for 9.1 here:
http://dba.stackexchange.com/questions/18664/are-regular-vacuum-analyze-stil-recommended-under-9-1

Bye!
François

Re: Pg 9.1: Do I need to run vacuum analyze instead vacuum full?

From
John R Pierce
Date:
On 07/24/12 2:15 PM, François Beausoleil wrote:
> Le 2012-07-24 à 16:36, Edson Richter a écrit :
>
>> >I know PostgreSQL from time to time runs automatically the vacuum process.
>> >My applications grows due lots of data import during the day (about 100Mb/day).
>> >Do I need also to schedule a Vacuum Analyze to happens from time to time?
> I already asked that question for 9.1
here:http://dba.stackexchange.com/questions/18664/are-regular-vacuum-analyze-stil-recommended-under-9-1

autovacuum does analyze as it goes.

Date:
Em 24/07/2012 18:15, François Beausoleil escreveu:
> Le 2012-07-24 à 16:36, Edson Richter a écrit :
>
>> I know PostgreSQL from time to time runs automatically the vacuum process.
>> My applications grows due lots of data import during the day (about 100Mb/day).
>> Do I need also to schedule a Vacuum Analyze to happens from time to time?
> I already asked that question for 9.1 here:
http://dba.stackexchange.com/questions/18664/are-regular-vacuum-analyze-stil-recommended-under-9-1

> Bye!
> François

There are great points on there, and for sure I'll read and analyze
carefuly.
But a simpler question remains: Auto vacuum also update statistics, or I
need to schedule Vacuum Analyze to do that?
I would not want to have two schedules doing same (or very close) things
bloating my database server.

Thanks,

Date:
Em 24/07/2012 18:15, François Beausoleil escreveu:
> Le 2012-07-24 à 16:36, Edson Richter a écrit :
>
>> I know PostgreSQL from time to time runs automatically the vacuum process.
>> My applications grows due lots of data import during the day (about 100Mb/day).
>> Do I need also to schedule a Vacuum Analyze to happens from time to time?
> I already asked that question for 9.1 here:
http://dba.stackexchange.com/questions/18664/are-regular-vacuum-analyze-stil-recommended-under-9-1

> Bye!
> François

There are great points on there, and for sure I'll read and analyze
carefully.

Date:
Em 24/07/2012 18:23, John R Pierce escreveu:

>>> process.
>>> 100Mb/day).
>>> time?
>> I already asked that question for 9.1
>> here:http://dba.stackexchange.com/questions/18664/are-regular-vacuum-analyze-stil-recommended-under-9-1
>
> autovacuum does analyze as it goes.

Thanks, that was the missing point :-)

Regards,

Edson

Re: Pg 9.1: Do I need to run vacuum analyze instead vacuum full?

From
Anthony Bull
Date:
We found the auto vacuum would always kick in during our daily data loads in the mornings and completely bottle neck our system, and in the end had to turn it off and schedule our own vacuum analyze over the weekend each week using crontab.  We do a couple of gigs of inserts a week into our postgres db - and having control of when vacuuming happens is pretty important, as our system is online 24 hours to both northern and southern hemispheres.

On Wed, Jul 25, 2012 at 9:30 AM, Edson Richter <edsonrichter@hotmail.com> wrote:
Em 24/07/2012 18:23, John R Pierce escreveu:

On 07/24/12 2:15 PM, François Beausoleil wrote:
Le 2012-07-24 à 16:36, Edson Richter a écrit :

>I know PostgreSQL from time to time runs automatically the vacuum process.
>My applications grows due lots of data import during the day (about 100Mb/day).
>Do I need also to schedule a Vacuum Analyze to happens from time to time?
I already asked that question for 9.1 here:http://dba.stackexchange.com/questions/18664/are-regular-vacuum-analyze-stil-recommended-under-9-1

autovacuum does analyze as it goes.

Thanks, that was the missing point :-)

Regards,

Edson

Re: Pg 9.1: Do I need to run vacuum analyze instead vacuum full?

From
Scott Marlowe
Date:
On Tue, Jul 24, 2012 at 5:43 PM, Anthony Bull <antsbull@gmail.com> wrote:
> We found the auto vacuum would always kick in during our daily data loads in
> the mornings and completely bottle neck our system, and in the end had to
> turn it off and schedule our own vacuum analyze over the weekend each week
> using crontab.  We do a couple of gigs of inserts a week into our postgres
> db - and having control of when vacuuming happens is pretty important, as
> our system is online 24 hours to both northern and southern hemispheres.

Please note that autovacuum is tunable in terms of how much load it
places on a system when it runs.  Often making it somewhat less
aggressive can accomplish the same task as scheduling regular vacuums.