Windows 7 Compatibility

From
"Wong, Beverly"

I work with Philadelphia Gas Works & would like to know if Postgresql v8.0.3 is compatible with Windows 7 OS.

Thank You

Beverly T. Wong I Ext: 6026

Technical Writing Intern

Philadelphia Gas Works

Re: Windows 7 Compatibility

From
"mike@trausch.us"
Date:
On 03/16/2012 10:08 AM, Wong, Beverly wrote:
> I work with Philadelphia Gas Works & would like to know if Postgresql
> v8.0.3 is compatible with Windows 7 OS.

First, you shouldn't be considering the user of PostgreSQL version 8.0;
starting with the release of PostgreSQL 8.3, versions 8.0 and 8.1 are no
longer officially supported on Microsoft Windows of any version, flavor
or variant.[0]

Additionally, according to [1] the oldest release series that still has
support is 8.3, which will continue to be supported for only about the
next 11 months.  You should be using 8.3 at a minimum, and unless there
are really good reasons to do otherwise, you should probably use the
most recent release series, 9.1, which was first released in September
of 2011.

    --- Mike

[0] http://www.postgresql.org/about/news/865/
[1] http://www.postgresql.org/support/versioning/

                                   --- Carveth Read, “Logic”

Attachment

Re: Windows 7 Compatibility

From
"mike@trausch.us"
Date:
On 03/16/2012 10:08 AM, Wong, Beverly wrote:
> I work with Philadelphia Gas Works & would like to know if
> Postgresql v8.0.3 is compatible with Windows 7 OS.

Oops, forgot to address the Windows 7 component of your question in the
previous reply.

According to [0], PostgreSQL is not supported on Windows XP Embedded,
Windows 2000, Windows NT, Windows 9x, Windows 3.x, Windows CE and
Windows Mobile.

Also, on the same page:

> What versions of Windows does PostgreSQL run on?
>
> PostgreSQL is supported on Windows XP and above, at least as of
> version 9.0. It will run on 32 and 64 bit systems.
>
> Versions of the server are not tested on new operating system
> versions that are released after a newer major version of the server
> was released. For example, Windows 7 was released after PostgreSQL
> 8.4, so PostgreSQL 8.3 will not be supported on it. Similarly, when
> the upcoming RHEL 6 is released, only PostgreSQL 9.0.x will be
> supported on it. We aim to support new versions of Windows in the
> PostgreSQL major version following their release at the latest.
>
> For information about platforms supported by the One-click installer,
> please see the installer download page, off the main download page
> for windows.

Hope this helps.

    --- Mike

[0] http://is.gd/8RJ1s5