Cannot connect to 2nd cluster database remotely

From
Jacques Lamothe

Hi, I have 2 cluster databases, running on the same host, Linux with redHat. My fist database port is set to default, 5432, but my second database port is set to 5436 in the postgresql.conf file. While everything is ok with local connections, I cannot connect remotely using any of my tools to the second database with port 5436, including pgAdmin. Please help. Any parameter that I need to modify for the new database with port 5436? I have attached the posgresql.conf file.

Jay

Attachment

Re: Cannot connect to 2nd cluster database remotely

From
Devrim GÜNDÜZ
Date:
On Wed, 2011-12-21 at 13:26 +0000, Jacques Lamothe wrote:
> I have 2 cluster databases, running on the same host, Linux with
> redHat. My fist database port is set to default, 5432, but my second
> database port is set to 5436 in the postgresql.conf file. While
> everything is ok with local connections, I cannot connect remotely
> using any of my tools to the second database with port 5436, including
> pgAdmin.

Is there a firewall on Linux box? You can check it with

iptables -L

if so, you can stop it with

service iptables stop

and then check again whether the db is accessible remotely or not.

Devrim GÜNDÜZ

Re: Cannot connect to 2nd cluster database remotely

From
Jacques Lamothe
Date:
I don’t believe I do. I can connect remotely with my first database that uses the default port 5432 and not with the
secondone using port 5436. However, I can connect locally to the database and perform any task.

[root@vpdb1 ~]# iptables -L
Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT)

Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT)

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)
[root@vpdb1 ~]#

On Wed, 2011-12-21 at 13:26 +0000, Jacques Lamothe wrote:
> I have 2 cluster databases, running on the same host, Linux with
> redHat. My fist database port is set to default, 5432, but my second
> database port is set to 5436 in the postgresql.conf file. While
> everything is ok with local connections, I cannot connect remotely
> using any of my tools to the second database with port 5436, including
> pgAdmin.

Is there a firewall on Linux box? You can check it with

iptables -L

if so, you can stop it with

service iptables stop

and then check again whether the db is accessible remotely or not.

Devrim GÜNDÜZ
Principal Systems Engineer @ EnterpriseDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com PostgreSQL Danışmanı/Consultant, Red Hat
CertifiedEngineer

Community: devrim~PostgreSQL.org, devrim.gunduz~linux.org.tr http://www.gunduz.org  Twitter:
http://twitter.com/devrimgunduz

Re: Cannot connect to 2nd cluster database remotely

From
devrim@gunduz.org
Date:
This message has been digitally signed by the sender.
Attachment

Re: Cannot connect to 2nd cluster database remotely

From
Vibhor Kumar
Date:
On Dec 21, 2011, at 8:26 AM, Jacques Lamothe wrote:

> Hi, I have 2 cluster databases, running on the same host, Linux with redHat. My fist database port is set to default,
5432,but my second database port is set to 5436 in the postgresql.conf file. While everything is ok with local
connections,I cannot connect remotely using any of my tools to the second database with port 5436, including pgAdmin.
Pleasehelp. Any parameter that I need to modify for the new database with port 5436? I have attached the posgresql.conf
file.

Please share exact error message, you are getting.

Thanks & Regards,
Vibhor Kumar
EnterpriseDB Corporation
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company