Searching through trigger functions

From
"Bob Pawley"
Date:
Hi

I have an error somewhere in one of the trigger functions in my database. The error message only told me it was a ‘Select * From (table name).

Is there a global method of finding where this expression resides other than searching each script individually.

Bob

Re: Searching through trigger functions

From
Merlin Moncure
Date:
On Mon, Sep 26, 2011 at 12:47 PM, Bob Pawley <rjpawley@shaw.ca> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have an error somewhere in one of the trigger functions in my database.
> The error message only told me it was a ‘Select * From (table name).
>
> Is there a global method of finding where this expression resides other than
> searching each script individually.

all function bodies are in pg_proc.prosrc.  search that...

merlin

Re: Searching through trigger functions

From
Alan Hodgson
Date:
On September 26, 2011 10:47:20 AM Bob Pawley wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have an error somewhere in one of the trigger functions in my database.
> The error message only told me it was a ‘Select * From (table name).
>
> Is there a global method of finding where this expression resides other
> than searching each script individually.

pg_dump -s > file; vi file; /s search_string

Alternately, I find it good practice to maintain function definitions outside of
the database, under version control. You can then grep those files as needed.