SQL function and input variables

From
Martín Marqués
Date:
I was makeing an SQL function and got an error which on a sintax that
I thouhgt would work:

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION dicInsertarPalabra(p TEXT)
RETURNS INT AS $body$
    INSERT INTO public.diccionario (palabra) VALUES (quote_literal(p));
    SELECT COALESCE(codigo,0) FROM public.diccionario
           WHERE palabra = quote_literal(p);
$body$ LANGUAGE 'SQL';

Changing p for $1 in the body of the function makes it work. But,
can't we label input arguments like how I did here?

--
Martín Marqués
DBA, Programador, Administrador

Re: SQL function and input variables

From
Raymond O'Donnell
Date:
On 21/09/2011 13:56, Martín Marqués wrote:
> I was makeing an SQL function and got an error which on a sintax that
> I thouhgt would work:
>
> CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION dicInsertarPalabra(p TEXT)
> RETURNS INT AS $body$
>     INSERT INTO public.diccionario (palabra) VALUES (quote_literal(p));
>     SELECT COALESCE(codigo,0) FROM public.diccionario
>            WHERE palabra = quote_literal(p);
> $body$ LANGUAGE 'SQL';
>
> Changing p for $1 in the body of the function makes it work. But,
> can't we label input arguments like how I did here?

No, you can't - that works in pl/pgsql, but not in SQL.

Ray.

--
Raymond O'Donnell :: Galway :: Ireland
rod@iol.ie

Re: SQL function and input variables

From
Thomas Kellerer
Date:
Martín Marqués, 21.09.2011 14:56:
> I was makeing an SQL function and got an error which on a sintax that
> I thouhgt would work:
>
> CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION dicInsertarPalabra(p TEXT)
> RETURNS INT AS $body$
>     INSERT INTO public.diccionario (palabra) VALUES (quote_literal(p));
>     SELECT COALESCE(codigo,0) FROM public.diccionario
>            WHERE palabra = quote_literal(p);
> $body$ LANGUAGE 'SQL';
>
> Changing p for $1 in the body of the function makes it work. But,
> can't we label input arguments like how I did here?

This is because the language SQL does not support named parameters, only positional ones.

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/xfunc-sql.html#XFUNC-NAMED-PARAMETERS

Thomas

Date:
2011/9/21 Thomas Kellerer <spam_eater@gmx.net>:
> Martín Marqués, 21.09.2011 14:56:
>>
>> I was makeing an SQL function and got an error which on a sintax that
>> I thouhgt would work:
>>
>> CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION dicInsertarPalabra(p TEXT)
>> RETURNS INT AS $body$
>>        INSERT INTO public.diccionario (palabra) VALUES (quote_literal(p));
>>        SELECT COALESCE(codigo,0) FROM public.diccionario
>>               WHERE palabra = quote_literal(p);
>> $body$ LANGUAGE 'SQL';
>>
>> Changing p for $1 in the body of the function makes it work. But,
>> can't we label input arguments like how I did here?
>>
> This is because the language SQL does not support named parameters, only
> positional ones.
>
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/xfunc-sql.html#XFUNC-NAMED-PARAMETERS

Thanks for the tip. Didn't know that, and just kept using plpgsql sintax.

Thanks again.

--

Date:
Thomas Kellerer <spam_eater@gmx.net> writes:
> Martín Marqués, 21.09.2011 14:56:
>> I was makeing an SQL function and got an error which on a sintax that
>> I thouhgt would work:
>>
>> CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION dicInsertarPalabra(p TEXT)
>> RETURNS INT AS $body$
>> INSERT INTO public.diccionario (palabra) VALUES (quote_literal(p));
>> SELECT COALESCE(codigo,0) FROM public.diccionario
>> WHERE palabra = quote_literal(p);
>> $body$ LANGUAGE 'SQL';
>>
>> Changing p for $1 in the body of the function makes it work. But,
>> can't we label input arguments like how I did here?

> This is because the language SQL does not support named parameters, only positional ones.
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/xfunc-sql.html#XFUNC-NAMED-PARAMETERS

There was some discussion of fixing that, not too long ago, but (IIRC)
we couldn't come to a consensus on what to do with ambiguous cases,
where for example "p" is also the name of a column available from one
of the tables in the query.

            regards, tom lane

Re: SQL function and input variables

From