PSQLRestore

From
"Bob Pawley"
Date:
Hi

I’m having problems making PostgreDAC’s PSQLRestore work without an access violation.

Could someone please point me to an example code that I can check?

(My PSQLDump is working well, so I am using a valid restore file.)

Bob

Re: PSQLRestore

From
Adrian Klaver
Date:
On 09/08/2011 09:09 AM, Bob Pawley wrote:
> Hi
> I’m having problems making PostgreDAC’s PSQLRestore work without an
> access violation.

The exact error message is?

> Could someone please point me to an example code that I can check?
> (My PSQLDump is working well, so I am using a valid restore file.)

But are you restoring as a valid user?

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@gmail.com

Re: PSQLRestore

From
"Bob Pawley"

On 09/08/2011 09:09 AM, Bob Pawley wrote:
> Hi
> I’m having problems making PostgreDAC’s PSQLRestore work without an
> access violation.

The exact error message is?

Access violation at adress 74FF8E0F in module 'msvcrt.dll'. Write os address
004F8574.

> Could someone please point me to an example code that I can check?
> (My PSQLDump is working well, so I am using a valid restore file.)

But are you restoring as a valid user?

I'm not sure.

The properties only refer to a superuser which doesn't appear to be
applicable for a simple restore.

I am going through a PSQLDatabase connection in my normal manner.

The problem seems to be in this code which I am using to transfer from the
opendialogue to PSQLRestore.

FileRestore :=  OpenDialog1.FileName;
      PSQLRestore1.RestoreFromFile(FileRestore, '  ');

I'm not sure what string is expected.

Bob

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@gmail.com

Re: PSQLRestore

From
Raymond O'Donnell
Date:
On 08/09/2011 23:02, Bob Pawley wrote:
> The problem seems to be in this code which I am using to transfer from
> the opendialogue to PSQLRestore.
>
> FileRestore :=  OpenDialog1.FileName;
>      PSQLRestore1.RestoreFromFile(FileRestore, '  ');
>
> I'm not sure what string is expected.

Hello Bob,

According to the docs, the second argument should either be a TStrings
object, into which log messages are placed, or else the name of a file
where the log output can be written.

Ray.

--
Raymond O'Donnell :: Galway :: Ireland
rod@iol.ie

Re: PSQLRestore

From
"Bob Pawley"

> The problem seems to be in this code which I am using to transfer from
> the opendialogue to PSQLRestore.
>
> FileRestore :=  OpenDialog1.FileName;
>      PSQLRestore1.RestoreFromFile(FileRestore, '  ');
>
> I'm not sure what string is expected.

Hello Bob,

According to the docs, the second argument should either be a TStrings
object, into which log messages are placed, or else the name of a file
where the log output can be written.

Ray.

Hi Ray

Is there any chance you could send me a short example of what that means.

If so, much appreciated.

Bob

--
Raymond O'Donnell :: Galway :: Ireland
rod@iol.ie

Re: PSQLRestore

From
Raymond O'Donnell
> Klaver ; Postgresql Subject: Re: [GENERAL] PSQLRestore
> On 08/09/2011 23:02, Bob Pawley wrote:
>> The problem seems to be in this code which I am using to transfer from
>> the opendialogue to PSQLRestore.
>>
>> FileRestore :=  OpenDialog1.FileName;
>>      PSQLRestore1.RestoreFromFile(FileRestore, '  ');
>>
>> I'm not sure what string is expected.
>
> Hello Bob,
>
> According to the docs, the second argument should either be a TStrings
> object, into which log messages are placed, or else the name of a file
> where the log output can be written.
>
> Ray.
>
> Hi Ray
>
> Is there any chance you could send me a short example of what that means.

Hello Bob,

This is off the top of my head - I haven't used that component (yet)
myself, and haven't tested the following, but at a guess it would be
something like this:

EITHER:

var
  LogMessages: TStringList;
begin
  LogMessages := TStringList.Create;
  PSQLRestore1.RestoreFromFile(FileRestore, LogMessages);

... and then later you could display the contents of LogMessages, if you
need to.

OR:

  PSQLRestore1.RestoreFromFile(FileRestore, 'c:\logfile.txt');

I hope this helps.

Ray.