Need linux uid in pg-psql

From
"Gauthier, Dave"

Is there a way to get the linux idsid of a user, even for a remote network connection?

If not, is there a way to capture this somehow when the original connection is made and maybe stuff it in a temp table or something using whatever means (a trigger-like mechanism? ) ?   Is there a script/function that gets run whenever a connection is made, something I might have access to, in which I could piggy-back something like this?  What I'm talking about is basically grabbing and storing $USER for me to read later on with a stored proc.

I could write a pg-perlu to get this, but I suspect it won't give me the original user when there's a remote connect.

Thanks for any suggestions !

Re: Need linux uid in pg-psql

From
Alan Hodgson
Date:
On August 19, 2011 07:01:33 AM Gauthier, Dave wrote:
> Is there a way to get the linux idsid of a user, even for a remote network
> connection?
>
> I could write a pg-perlu to get this, but I suspect it won't give me the
> original user when there's a remote connect.
>
> Thanks for any suggestions !

There's an identd protocol for this. It's not commonly used anymore, and when
present tends to deliberately obscure the results.

Re: Need linux uid in pg-psql

From
Chris Travers
Date:
On Fri, Aug 19, 2011 at 8:40 AM, Alan Hodgson <ahodgson@simkin.ca> wrote:
> On August 19, 2011 07:01:33 AM Gauthier, Dave wrote:
>> Is there a way to get the linux idsid of a user, even for a remote network
>> connection?
>>
>> I could write a pg-perlu to get this, but I suspect it won't give me the
>> original user when there's a remote connect.
>>
>> Thanks for any suggestions !
>
> There's an identd protocol for this. It's not commonly used anymore, and when
> present tends to deliberately obscure the results.

Couldn't you use client ssl certs for authentication and encode the
data there in the cert?

Best Wishes,
Chris Travers

Re: Need linux uid in pg-psql

Date:
Alan Hodgson <ahodgson@simkin.ca> writes:
> On August 19, 2011 07:01:33 AM Gauthier, Dave wrote:
>> Is there a way to get the linux idsid of a user, even for a remote network
>> connection?

> There's an identd protocol for this. It's not commonly used anymore, and when
> present tends to deliberately obscure the results.

Not to mention that it's trivially faked, if the user has root on his
own machine.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Need linux uid in pg-psql

From
"Gauthier, Dave"
Date:
Not too worried about nefarious id faking in this environment.
How does one use "identd" in an unobscured way?