Is max connections in a table somewhere?

From
Geoffrey Myers
Date:
Is max connections in any table in the database I can access?
--
Until later, Geoffrey

the pretense of taking care of them."
- Thomas Jefferson

Re: Is max connections in a table somewhere?

From
Andy Colson
Date:
On 8/10/2011 1:47 PM, Geoffrey Myers wrote:
> Is max connections in any table in the database I can access?

Not really a table, but it is selectable:

show max_connections;

use "show all" to see everything.

-Andy

Re: Is max connections in a table somewhere?

From
Scott Marlowe
Date:
On Wed, Aug 10, 2011 at 12:47 PM, Geoffrey Myers
<lists@serioustechnology.com> wrote:
> Is max connections in any table in the database I can access?

No it's in the postgresql.conf file, which is in various places
depending on how pg was installed.  for debian / ubuntu it's in
/etc/postgresql/8.x/main for the default cluster.  It's in
/var/lib/pgsql/data for RHEL 5.  Not sure about other distros.

Re: Is max connections in a table somewhere?

From
Guillaume Lelarge
Date:
On Wed, 2011-08-10 at 13:41 -0500, Andy Colson wrote:
> On 8/10/2011 1:47 PM, Geoffrey Myers wrote:
> > Is max connections in any table in the database I can access?
>
> Not really a table, but it is selectable:
>
> show max_connections;
>
> use "show all" to see everything.

Actually, it's also available in a table (pg_settings).

--
Guillaume
  http://blog.guillaume.lelarge.info

Re: Is max connections in a table somewhere?

From
Ray Stell
Date:
On Wed, Aug 10, 2011 at 02:47:25PM -0400, Geoffrey Myers wrote:
> Is max connections in any table in the database I can access?

edbstore=> \d pg_catalog.pg_settings;
  View "pg_catalog.pg_settings"
   Column   |  Type   | Modifiers
------------+---------+-----------
 name       | text    |
 setting    | text    |
 unit       | text    |
 category   | text    |
 short_desc | text    |
 extra_desc | text    |
 context    | text    |
 vartype    | text    |
 source     | text    |
 min_val    | text    |
 max_val    | text    |
 enumvals   | text[]  |
 boot_val   | text    |
 reset_val  | text    |
 sourcefile | text    |
 sourceline | integer |
View definition:
 SELECT a.name, a.setting, a.unit, a.category, a.short_desc, a.extra_desc, a.context, a.vartype, a.source, a.min_val,
a.max_val,a.enumvals, a.boot_val, a.reset_val, a.sourcefile, a.sourceline
   FROM pg_show_all_settings() a(name, setting, unit, category, short_desc, extra_desc, context, vartype, source,
min_val,max_val, enumvals, boot_val, reset_val, sourcefile, sourceline);
Rules:
 pg_settings_n AS
    ON UPDATE TO pg_settings DO INSTEAD NOTHING
 pg_settings_u AS
    ON UPDATE TO pg_settings
   WHERE new.name = old.name DO  SELECT set_config(old.name, new.setting, false) AS set_config

Date:
On 8/10/2011 1:49 PM, Guillaume Lelarge wrote:
> On Wed, 2011-08-10 at 13:41 -0500, Andy Colson wrote:
>> On 8/10/2011 1:47 PM, Geoffrey Myers wrote:
>>> Is max connections in any table in the database I can access?
>>
>> Not really a table, but it is selectable:
>>
>> show max_connections;
>>
>> use "show all" to see everything.
>>

> Actually, it's also available in a table (pg_settings).

Well thats cool, I did not realize there was a table.

-Andy

Date:
Scott Marlowe wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 10, 2011 at 12:47 PM, Geoffrey Myers
> <lists@serioustechnology.com> wrote:
>> Is max connections in any table in the database I can access?
>
> No it's in the postgresql.conf file, which is in various places
> depending on how pg was installed.  for debian / ubuntu it's in
> /etc/postgresql/8.x/main for the default cluster.  It's in
> /var/lib/pgsql/data for RHEL 5.  Not sure about other distros.

Yeah, I knew it was in the postgresql.conf file, but since I've got a
piece of code that's already connected to the database, I figured I'd
get it from the database, rather then open the file and read it from there.

--
Geoffrey Myers
Myers Consulting Inc.

Re: Is max connections in a table somewhere?

From
Adrian Klaver
Date:
On Wednesday, August 10, 2011 11:47:25 am Geoffrey Myers wrote:
> Is max connections in any table in the database I can access?

SELECT current_setting('max_connections');
 current_setting
-----------------
 100

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@gmail.com

Date:
Adrian Klaver wrote:
> On Wednesday, August 10, 2011 11:47:25 am Geoffrey Myers wrote:
>> Is max connections in any table in the database I can access?
>
> SELECT current_setting('max_connections');
>  current_setting
>  100

Thanks for all the responses folks.  Obviously, there's more then one
way to skin this cat.