pg_largeobject vs pg_toast_XXXX

From
bubba postgres

After some changes on my DB I notice that where I used to have a large pg_toast_XXXXX table, I now have a large pg_largeobject table.
Can't find an explanation of the difference between the two, could someone enlighten me?

Re: pg_largeobject vs pg_toast_XXXX

From
bubba postgres
Date:
No takers?
Some background I've changed my TOAST type from EXTENDED to MAIN.

After some changes on my DB I notice that where I used to have a large pg_toast_XXXXX table, I now have a large pg_largeobject table.
Can't find an explanation of the difference between the two, could someone enlighten me?

Re: pg_largeobject vs pg_toast_XXXX

From
"Albe Laurenz"
Date:
bubba postgres wrote:
> No takers?
> Some background I've changed my TOAST type from EXTENDED to MAIN.

> After some changes on my DB I notice that where I used to have a large
pg_toast_XXXXX table, I
> now have a large pg_largeobject table.
> Can't find an explanation of the difference between the two, could
someone enlighten me?

There is no connection between TOAST tables and pg_largeobject, which
holds large objects.

Changing TOAST strategy from EXTENDED to MAIN will give you a larger
main table and a smaller TOAST table.

See
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/storage-toast.html

Try \lo_list at your psql prompt to see why your large object table
is big.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe