PostgreSQL 9.0 or 9.1 ?

From
Achilleas Mantzios
Date:
Hello again! (i got my traditional email-address back!)
we have been running our infrastructure on 8.3 for quite some years now,
and i am thinking it is now time to upgrade all major parts of our system
(java, jboss, postgresql).

I would tend to be a little "radical" and go a little optimistic and greedy about it.
I have been using 9.0 as a test system with no major flaws for quite some time as well.
(but unfortunately without exploiting any of its new features)

Till the end of July i must have finished all the migration to the new versions.

The migration will involve testing of about 5,458 sql statements and the
migration of some heavily customized in house functions, including
a version of DBmirror (which is in use for a very specific set of problems)

So i am asking what would be better from your perspective to do?
Go for 9.1? or stick to 9.0 and try to deploy it and take the most out of it?

When is a stable (release) version of 9.1 be available?

Has any one faced any issues migrating from 9.0 to 9.1

--
Achilleas Mantzios

Re: PostgreSQL 9.0 or 9.1 ?

From
Grzegorz Jaśkiewicz
Date:
It could be worth considering 9.1. Probably by the time you get
production ready version, 9.1 will be already stable (few months I
guess).
The usual answer to that question is - it will be ready when its ready.

Re: PostgreSQL 9.0 or 9.1 ?

From
Vick Khera
Date:
On Thu, Jun 16, 2011 at 10:06 AM, Achilleas Mantzios
<achill@matrix.gatewaynet.com> wrote:
> Till the end of July i must have finished all the migration to the new versions.
>
> The migration will involve testing of about 5,458 sql statements and the
> migration of some heavily customized in house functions, including
> a version of DBmirror (which is in use for a very specific set of problems)

You need to test these things on the exact version you plan to deploy,
so not having a final 9.1 will make this pretty hard to do.  Granted,
the changes going in from now on are not supposed to be new/changed
features, but just bug fixes... the final determination of how secure
you feel in your testing is up to you.

Re: PostgreSQL 9.0 or 9.1 ?

From
"Nicholson, Brad (Toronto, ON, CA)"