Proposition fetch cursors

From
Radosław Smogura
Date:
 Hello,

 I have proposition about one missing feature for cursors. Actually
 there is no support for fetching some data from cursor without moving it
 (in context of external applications). This could be nice if driver
 could fetch e.g. 100 rows, buffer it internally and then move cursor at
 desired position in order to update data. I think this is known approach
 in databases.

 Regards,
 Radek

Re: Proposition fetch cursors

From
Craig Ringer
Date:
On 06/14/2011 04:30 PM, Radosław Smogura wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have proposition about one missing feature for cursors. Actually there
> is no support for fetching some data from cursor without moving it (in
> context of external applications). This could be nice if driver could
> fetch e.g. 100 rows, buffer it internally and then move cursor at
> desired position in order to update data. I think this is known approach
> in databases.

Interesting.

Do you want this only for scrollable cursors? Or do you want/need to be
able to "peek" ahead into the results of a non-scrollable cursor too?

What's your use case?

--
Craig Ringer

Date:
 On Tue, 14 Jun 2011 20:49:48 +0800, Craig Ringer wrote:
> On 06/14/2011 04:30 PM, Radosław Smogura wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have proposition about one missing feature for cursors. Actually
>> there
>> is no support for fetching some data from cursor without moving it
>> (in
>> context of external applications). This could be nice if driver
>> could
>> fetch e.g. 100 rows, buffer it internally and then move cursor at
>> desired position in order to update data. I think this is known
>> approach
>> in databases.
>
> Interesting.
>
> Do you want this only for scrollable cursors? Or do you want/need to
> be able to "peek" ahead into the results of a non-scrollable cursor
> too?
>
> What's your use case?
>
> --
> Craig Ringer

 Actually for "for update" cursors (so for all non-scrollable). With
 scrollable I can move backward and forward simulating fetches, but for
 update it's small pain, as in order to update n-th row (I doesn't know
 at begin that this is n-th row) I should ask n-times to get this row,
 moving forward one-by-one - adding network "overhead". With fetches I
 can ask to fetch 100 rows from current position, process it on my side,
 and then decide where to move cursor (eventually to update data).

 Regards,
 Radek