windows vista and windows 7

From
Heine Ferreira
Date:
Hi

Does Postgres run on the Starter Edition of Windows Vista and Windows 7?

Thanks

H.F.

Re: windows vista and windows 7

From
Craig Ringer
Date:
On 06/07/2011 04:18 AM, Heine Ferreira wrote:
> Hi
>
> Does Postgres run on the Starter Edition of Windows Vista and Windows 7?

As far as I know PostgreSQL is not explicitly tested on Windows ...
Starter Edition. Whether it will work depends on how crippled those
editions of Windows are.

Why would you want to run PostgreSQL on a crippled OS like that anyway?
What's your use case?

--
Craig Ringer

Re: windows vista and windows 7

From
Toby Corkindale
Date:
On 07/06/11 09:00, Craig Ringer wrote:
> On 06/07/2011 04:18 AM, Heine Ferreira wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> Does Postgres run on the Starter Edition of Windows Vista and Windows 7?
>
> As far as I know PostgreSQL is not explicitly tested on Windows ...
> Starter Edition. Whether it will work depends on how crippled those
> editions of Windows are.
>
> Why would you want to run PostgreSQL on a crippled OS like that anyway?
> What's your use case?

Apparently it's quite common on cheaper Netbooks and on PCs in "emerging
markets".

Looking at the Windows 7 Starter FAQ, I don't see why it wouldn't work..
You're limited to 2 GB of memory, but that'll be enough to get by on for
local development and stuff.

-Toby

Re: windows vista and windows 7

From
John R Pierce
Date:
On 06/07/11 12:35 AM, Toby Corkindale wrote:
> Looking at the Windows 7 Starter FAQ, I don't see why it wouldn't work..
> You're limited to 2 GB of memory, but that'll be enough to get by on
> for local development and stuff.

the user management is even more crippled than it is in win7 Home,
making managing a service account like postgres uses problematic.

and yeah, 32bit only and 2gb max supported memory.

Date:
On 7/06/2011 3:35 PM, Toby Corkindale wrote:
> On 07/06/11 09:00, Craig Ringer wrote:
>> On 06/07/2011 04:18 AM, Heine Ferreira wrote:
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> Does Postgres run on the Starter Edition of Windows Vista and Windows 7?
>>
>> As far as I know PostgreSQL is not explicitly tested on Windows ...
>> Starter Edition. Whether it will work depends on how crippled those
>> editions of Windows are.
>>
>> Why would you want to run PostgreSQL on a crippled OS like that anyway?
>> What's your use case?
>
> Apparently it's quite common on cheaper Netbooks and on PCs in "emerging
> markets".

Sure, it exists and is in use. But why would you want to put PostgreSQL
on a gutless little netbook?

What I'm angling for from the OP is why they care about running on
Starter Edition. I suspect the answer will be "because I want to bundle
PostgreSQL with my application and some of my users will have Starter
Edition" - at which point alternative database choices that're lighter
weight, app-embeddable and lower-admin may need to be pointed out.

--
Craig Ringer

Re: windows vista and windows 7

From
Peter Geoghegan
Date:
On 6 June 2011 21:18, Heine Ferreira <heine.ferreira@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> Does Postgres run on the Starter Edition of Windows Vista and Windows 7?

Starter edition can only run 3 programs at a time. I'm not sure how
that's counted, and how it will roll with PG's multi-process
architecture, but my guess would be not well.

Date:
On 07/06/11 20:45, Peter Geoghegan wrote:
> On 6 June 2011 21:18, Heine Ferreira<heine.ferreira@gmail.com>  wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> Does Postgres run on the Starter Edition of Windows Vista and Windows 7?
>
> Starter edition can only run 3 programs at a time. I'm not sure how
> that's counted, and how it will roll with PG's multi-process
> architecture, but my guess would be not well.

Nah, they got rid of the 3 program limit a while back!