PG 9.0 - Default postgresql.conf?

From
Phoenix Kiula
Date:
Hi,

Is there any place I can download the default postgresql.conf that
comes with 9.0?

Thanks!

Re: PG 9.0 - Default postgresql.conf?

From
Magnus Hagander
Date:
On Tue, Apr 26, 2011 at 19:11, Phoenix Kiula <phoenix.kiula@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is there any place I can download the default postgresql.conf that
> comes with 9.0?

http://git.postgresql.org/gitweb?p=postgresql.git;a=blob_plain;f=src/backend/utils/misc/postgresql.conf.sample;h=a3880da7dac5d8ff55dc8f5f7a3f1fc8052627b0;hb=REL9_0_STABLE

(note that initdb will make a few changes to it depending on your system)

If you have installed PostgreSQL, you should also be able to locate a
postgresql.conf.sample file on your local system. Exactly were it is
depends on how you intalled PostgreSQL.

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/

Date:
On Wed, Apr 27, 2011 at 1:18 AM, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 26, 2011 at 19:11, Phoenix Kiula <phoenix.kiula@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Is there any place I can download the default postgresql.conf that
>> comes with 9.0?

http://git.postgresql.org/gitweb?p=postgresql.git;a=blob_plain;f=src/backend/utils/misc/postgresql.conf.sample;h=a3880da7dac5d8ff55dc8f5f7a3f1fc8052627b0;hb=REL9_0_STABLE

> (note that initdb will make a few changes to it depending on your system)
>
> If you have installed PostgreSQL, you should also be able to locate a
> postgresql.conf.sample file on your local system. Exactly were it is
> depends on how you intalled PostgreSQL.

Thanks Magnus. My PGSQL was installed on Linux using the Yum
repositories. There's no file called *.conf.sample.

What changes does initdb make -- can I make them by myself?

Date:
On Wed, Apr 27, 2011 at 1:53 AM, Phoenix Kiula <phoenix.kiula@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 27, 2011 at 1:18 AM, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:
>> On Tue, Apr 26, 2011 at 19:11, Phoenix Kiula <phoenix.kiula@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Is there any place I can download the default postgresql.conf that
>>> comes with 9.0?

http://git.postgresql.org/gitweb?p=postgresql.git;a=blob_plain;f=src/backend/utils/misc/postgresql.conf.sample;h=a3880da7dac5d8ff55dc8f5f7a3f1fc8052627b0;hb=REL9_0_STABLE

>> (note that initdb will make a few changes to it depending on your system)
>>
>> If you have installed PostgreSQL, you should also be able to locate a
>> postgresql.conf.sample file on your local system. Exactly were it is
>> depends on how you intalled PostgreSQL.
>

> Thanks Magnus. My PGSQL was installed on Linux using the Yum
> repositories. There's no file called *.conf.sample.
>
> What changes does initdb make -- can I make them by myself?

Btw, the default file is FAILING. The server does not restart.

How can I check what the problem is? I don't see any errors at least
on the command line.All I see is:

> service postgresql restart
Stopping postgresql service:                               [  OK  ]
Starting postgresql service:                               [FAILED]

Thanks!

Re: PG 9.0 - Default postgresql.conf?

From
Andrew Sullivan
Date:
On Wed, Apr 27, 2011 at 01:59:10AM +0800, Phoenix Kiula wrote:
 How can I check what the problem is? I don't see any errors at least
> on the command line.All I see is:
>

> > service postgresql restart
> Stopping postgresql service:                               [  OK  ]
> Starting postgresql service:                               [FAILED]

You probably want to look in the logs.  Under /var/log there should be
something -- if nowhere else, then in syslog.

Andrew Sullivan
ajs@crankycanuck.ca

Re: PG 9.0 - Default postgresql.conf?

From
John R Pierce
Date:
On 04/26/11 10:59 AM, Phoenix Kiula wrote:
> How can I check what the problem is? I don't see any errors at least
> on the command line.All I see is:
>

>> >  service postgresql restart
> Stopping postgresql service:                               [  OK  ]
> Starting postgresql service:                               [FAILED]

look in the server logfiles...   depending on your distribution, the
system service startup script could be generating them various ways,
I've seen $PGDATA/server.log and $PGDATA/pg_log/*.log commonly.

Re: PG 9.0 - Default postgresql.conf?

From
Greg Smith
Date:
Phoenix Kiula wrote:

>> What changes does initdb make -- can I make them by myself?

The main thing is that it adjusts shared_buffers down until the server
will start without exceeding the OS limits.  It also sets some locale
parameters within the database.

> Btw, the default file is FAILING. The server does not restart.
>
> How can I check what the problem is? I don't see any errors at least
> on the command line.All I see is:

The errors are probably in /var/lib/pgsql/9.0/pgstartup.log

Most of the time the problem is either:

a) shared_buffers and the other memory parameters are set too high for
the OS settings.
b) There is already an instance running, or some file left behind from
an earlier instance, that is blocking startup of the new server.
c) A file is missing, corrupted, or has the wrong permissions

All of the common cases identify themselves clearly in the log file.