Needs Suggestion

From
SUBHAM ROY
Date:
By doing \timing in psql, we enable the timing and then when we type the query we are able to see its execution time.
Similarly, is there any way to view the number I/Os and memory usage by a particular query.

And also the timing result that gets displayed, in which log file does it get recorded?

--
Thank You,
Subham Roy,

Re: Needs Suggestion

From
raghu ram

By doing \timing in psql, we enable the timing and then when we type the query we are able to see its execution time.
Similarly, is there any way to view the number I/Os and memory usage by a particular query.

PGsnap module will describes tables,Indexes,Sequences I/O statistics and URL as follows

pg_buffercache module will shows memory usage on particular tables.

--Raghu Ram

And also the timing result that gets displayed, in which log file does it get recorded?

--
Thank You,
Subham Roy,
CSE IIT Bombay.

Re: Needs Suggestion

From
Alban Hertroys
Date:
On 20 Apr 2011, at 19:11, SUBHAM ROY wrote:

> By doing \timing in psql, we enable the timing and then when we type the query we are able to see its execution time.

> Similarly, is there any way to view the number I/Os and memory usage by a particular query.

You seem to be unfamiliar with the EXPLAIN ANALYSE command.

> And also the timing result that gets displayed, in which log file does it get recorded?

None, as you're doing your measurements client-side. EXPLAIN ANALYSE is server-side.

Alban Hertroys

!DSPAM:737,4dafd86711735555731696!

Re: Needs Suggestion

From
SUBHAM ROY

Sorry, but I'm not able to understand about how to use pgsnap for measuring query performance. I have installed pgsnap. when I run pgsnap it shows some error:

Connecting to test database...
Adding some HTML files...
Getting Misc informations...
Getting General informations...
sh: pg_controldata: not found
Getting Global Informations...
  pg_buffercache unavailable!
Getting Database Informations...
  pg_buffercache unavailable!
  pgstattuple unavailable!
  pgstattuple on indexes unavailable!
Getting Current Activities Informations...
Getting Statistical Informations...
Getting Tools Informations...
  pgPool unavailable!

However,it generates few reports on the mentioned directory. But I am not able to understand how to use it to measure the performance for each query that I run.

--
Thank You,
Subham Roy,